Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Transitioning from paid to free software: a Community killer or saviour?

Website
agoraforo.com
Credits
In regards of "Were you ever in the situation where you couldn't afford to run a site anymore?" - We've always talked about moving from free software to a paid software. But what if it's the other way around?

Paid software often comes with more robust features, dedicated support, and usually offers a more premium experience. However, free software has its own advantages, such as reduced operational costs and often a larger community for support.

So, what happens when a community that's accustomed to a paid platform suddenly transitions to a free one? Could it disrupt the community dynamics, leading to dissatisfaction or even an exodus of members? Or could it possibly invigorate the community, leading to more innovation and self-reliance?

• Do you think moving from paid to free software could "kill" a community?
  • Have you ever made such a transition? If so, what were the results and what lessons did you learn?
  • How would you manage a transition like this to minimize disruption and maintain member satisfaction?
  • Are there any specific free software solutions you would recommend (or advise against) for such a transition?
  • How important do you think the choice of software (paid vs. free) is to the overall health of a community?
Eager to read your replies. :)

Advertisement Placeholder
I think more hobbyists need to be having this conversation. Way too many hobbyist admins complain about not being able to afford paid forum software, when there are plenty of free open source like HumHub, Discourse, NodeBB, Forem

It's not just legacy options like SMF and phpBB. There are modern forum options that are free and open source.

I think more hobbyists need to be having this conversation. Way too many hobbyist admins complain about not being able to afford paid forum software, when there are plenty of free open source like HumHub, Discourse, NodeBB, Forem

It's not just legacy options like SMF and phpBB. There are modern forum options that are free and open source.
Yeah, I agree. There is no shame in going to free from paid. If you're not able to afford, you can ask for donations or offer subscriptions. If that fails, then a transition to a free software isn't a shame. I'm sure if people are used to a forum, bonded as a community, most will end up staying with the new transition.

Hobbyists admins are indeed complaining a lot lately, with the price change of Invision Community -- while no one is forcing them, and most people gain advantage of it -- there's still a few that might be better off with a free software. Hobbyist admins also need to comprehend that just a forum is hard to survive in 2023. If you don't offer anything beyond a forum, than chances are you're not getting far.

I think if you offer a near replica of the original paid version of the site, then you aren't setting yourself up for failure. If the free version doesn't have certain features that the paid version has, maybe they can be created with coding. If not, it's not the end of the world for that community. You can certainly also convert your theme from one software to the next. Free versions aren't always failures, some turn out to be a success depending on multitudes of factors. If visitors find something of great interest in your community, then they will likely join. It's sometimes all about the content, the uniqueness of it, the depth of it, the usefulness of it, etc. Some people don't mind having a forum not bloated with countless features, it can be all about the content.

Switching from a paid version to a free one would come with reduction in the number of features the site used to offer. This may be affecting the user experience of the existing members of the community since, they would be used to certain features of it which made their browsing & interactive sessions throughout it smooth. Definitely, if they have been there for a decent amount of time and have built a good bond with their fellow members, they will continue to stick to it but if not, they might step out of it. For the new members who join it after the transition, it won't matter much if it has a decent appearance, the content in it is still rich and the site is filled with life. I feel during transitions like this, the core of the site being still successful would lie on the way the existing members take it. If they are together in it, they will be helping in uplifting it even when it lacks what it had earlier.

It depends on what a forum would lose moving to the free software. I'm not very knowledgeable about the modern day free forums @joelr stated, but I think they'd definitely be worth looking into! I would make a list of things you HAD to have, and what are some things you think your community could go without and find something that is the closest to that for you. If you don't lose the main things you like/need, then I think your community could move over without many issues.

I think if you offer a near replica of the original paid version of the site, then you aren't setting yourself up for failure. If the free version doesn't have certain features that the paid version has, maybe they can be created with coding. If not, it's not the end of the world for that community. You can certainly also convert your theme from one software to the next. Free versions aren't always failures, some turn out to be a success depending on multitudes of factors. If visitors find something of great interest in your community, then they will likely join. It's sometimes all about the content, the uniqueness of it, the depth of it, the usefulness of it, etc. Some people don't mind having a forum not bloated with countless features, it can be all about the content.
Agreed. I'd say the depth of the conversation is more important than the breadth.. Also, they are related and so it could be said that both are equally important.

Yes and no. As others have said, it generally means a reduction in features and general user experience, and that is not good for a community. However, the core of a community is the community and that does not depend on software. The largest issue I actually see when sites go this route is server and software problems from the conversation that last for months and without paid support it tolls the users.

Yes and no. As others have said, it generally means a reduction in features and general user experience, and that is not good for a community. However, the core of a community is the community and that does not depend on software. The largest issue I actually see when sites go this route is server and software problems from the conversation that last for months and without paid support it tolls the users.
Community and content.

As I've mentioned in other threads, balance is key. It looks so bad when all users do is play forum games without any kinda discussion. Or too many one-linere posts. Good content is key - this means content that is backed up by evidence and looks like thorough research has been undertaken. I think it's good when members reply to things with their views. It makes for good discussion. Honestly, balance is key - I've seen forums where every post is link after link. I'd say both scenarios drive me nuts!

Community and content.

As I've mentioned in other threads, balance is key. It looks so bad when all users do is play forum games without any kinda discussion. Or too many one-linere posts. Good content is key - this means content that is backed up by evidence and looks like thorough research has been undertaken. I think it's good when members reply to things with their views. It makes for good discussion. Honestly, balance is key - I've seen forums where every post is link after link. I'd say both scenarios drive me nuts!
This is completely true. Content has been and remains king on all websites.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 77.4%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds