Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

The longest you've gone without having a job?

Credits
Excluding when you were an adolescent, what's the longest you've gone without having a job?

In recent times, right now is probably the longest I've gone without a job. I've been unemployed for nearly a whole year, but I hope to see that change soon. Thankfully, I had 10K before I quit my last job, but that is gradually dwindling away to nothing without a source of income.

Advertisement Placeholder
I started working in 2012 when I was 19 and at college and I have been employed ever since then.
However, technically I did have about 4 weeks of being 'unemployed' back in 2016 when I was moving from one job to another. I just wanted a bit of time off before I started training for my new job, and also it was abroad too so I wanted to make time to see friends and family before I spent months away.

I had a period in 2003 where I didn't have a job because I didn't know how to explain 'I got fired at my last job' properly, and I don't know if you count the initial period after summer 2008 while I was getting freelancing going.

Hmmmmmm... haven't had a paid job since 2012'ish. Over that time I've done free work for several local medical clinics with their IT infrastructure.
I guess I should mention that was when I officially retired and started drawing a full time pension though.
Before that, the longest I went between jobs was maybe 2-3 weeks. I always had my next job lined up before leaving my prior one.

Excluding when you were an adolescent, what's the longest you've gone without having a job?

In recent times, right now is probably the longest I've gone without a job. I've been unemployed for nearly a whole year, but I hope to see that change soon. Thankfully, I had 10K before I quit my last job, but that is gradually dwindling away to nothing without a source of income.
By "job", would that be meaning to encompass self employment/running one's own bizzo too?

Think the last time i participated in the employment slavery system would've been at least a decade ago as a contractor,...though can't recall exactly what year.

However i do clearly remember what went down during the final days.

i guess technically the longest i've been unemployed is at least a decade.

The last job was where i'd completed a contract, yet hadn't been paid a cent.

And the client outright refused to cough up unless committing to another major contract—but at a significant discount—which was to include the total outstanding from the initial contract-minus the new proposed discount.

Attempts at reasoning with the client failed, thus i inevitably declined and requested fulfilment of the contract terms.(*this took hours of heated discussion)

Which is when things became,...🤔...."interesting".

It came down to necessitating allusion to potential lawyer involvement, which changed the client's mind-reluctantly agreeing to cough up, they even agreed to reassess their new contract proposal at my standard rate—but i'd have to meet a rep in the city the following day.

So i thought it was all good, fully expecting to enter another contract at the same site—that being several hours driving to a remote location.
(*i left all my blimmen equipment)

i did meet the rep, and was handed a cheque—minus roughly 25%—of course i demanded an explanation.

He informed me that the client believes i owe them reimbursement for certain materials they claim to have supplied-(*which was absurd. i had all the receipts proving i had supplied & paid for all materials—furthermore i'd also already passed on my contractors discount to the client, so this was an additional kick in the guts.)

The rep seemed evasive af, simply telling me to go take it up with the client in person.

Hours later i arrived at the site to find the client with what appeared to be some unidentified crew, all laughing cheerfully while watching one of them rip up a paddock with the dozer,...

...i already had a bad feeling, which only got worse when their demeanour turned grim upon noticing me coming down the long driveway.

Admittedly this whole scenario was quite alarming, well, it was actually terrifying really, but i kept calm.

Basically the client began berating me & demanded i sign the new contract(*@~60% off) then & there and immediately get to work.

i declined and said i'm done, i'm loading up my equipment, you'll have to find another contractor.
(*All while the unidentified crew slowly surrounded the two of us.)

Pfft, i knew what was happening at that point.

The options were; acquiesce & sign, run like hell & hope to make it to the truck(*now blocked in by the prick in the dozer),...refuse & either be hospitalized-but more likely "disappeared"—or create another option.

And as frickin angry as i was, ya learn a thing or two growing up in a gang infested city, thusly i concealed my-(*at that point)-rage and maintained an outward appearance of seeming naivety to the actual sitch.

The client continued by not so subtly implying that if i attempt to load up my equipment—imma get shot—followed up by saying in a manner as if to be joking—that people have gone missing out there before.

They all laughed—i obviously didn't, yet in keeping with the naivety act-had feigned as if i'd simply missed the retarded "joke".

Once that BS subsided there was a moment of extremely awkward/intense silence, which i think was when they (*the "crew") had been about to pack me in if given the clients signal.

At this moment it's like time had slowed down from my perspective, i didn't hesitate to begin busting out a technical gish gallop thereby essentially hijacking the situation and flooding the client with a fabricated-(*though accurate & excessively detailed)-rundown of materials, additional equipment, contract paperwork, etc for the work being demanded.

Must've been pretty convincing because the client eventually told me to shut up-piss of back to the city-get everything sorted-& to be back later that avo—but if i failed to return he knows where i live.(*a bluff)

Thus i was allowed to leave—though certainly never went back to get my equipment—& shot, nor was i stupid enough to report any of this to the corrupt "authorities".
(*The client would be able to find my address via resulting legal documents.)

i appreciate that possibly everyone else here on this forum will still believe in the system we've been brought up within—and so may likely find what i share to be uncouth or whatever,...which i can respect because i would have once as well.

There are obvious criminals—yet there are much worse criminals who appear as if not to be.
They wear suits, are well versed in "Law", they own fancy sh#t, and dominate positions throughout the upper tiers of society.
They are politicians, CEOs, lawyers, senators, judges, police, military, etcetera-etc.....

😄For all anyone knows some of you may even be of this ilk-or perhaps aware.

Take pause before reacting to this post if so choosing.

Ask yourself why i would be sharing this?

What could there possibly be to gain by doing so?

It's no secret that most react with general hostility to such commentary—therefore to assume i would be so ignorant as to post as such—would be an illogical (*& erroneous) conclusion.

i expect to be perceived as a "crazy person" or whatever, by most and i expect hostility in response—i am aware of the significant detriment for which this will expose upon my digital character....yet i do it anyway.

Why?

Why would i share this whilst fully cognizant of the highly probable result being of gaining nothing and losing something?

Could it be that i am not for whom this is intended to be of benefit.

How could i be unemployed for over a decade and yet not be some broke a## bum.

If familiar with Plato's Republic - specifically the Cave Allegory, why does one return to those still bedazzled by shadow silhouettes- imprisoned within the cave?

😶

I worked in high school for a year. After that, I went to college and did not work until a bit after I graduated from college. I graduated in December, and I started a substitute job the following October. Then got officially hired as a teacher for the next year - since then I've been working consistently. So I would maybe count the time between graduating college and starting my substitute job - 10 months?

Just over an entire year. I had no choice because I wasn't allowed to be employed for the first year I moved to the U.S. as one of the rules for coming to the country on a fiancé visa.

That does kind of suck to not be able to work during that period! Is there a specific reason for why that is a thing?
The visa (known specifically as a K-1 Visa) itself doesn't permit someone to work until they have been approved as a permanent resident of the U.S. Filing for permanent residency takes roughly an entire year, and when filing for permanent residency you can also file for a work permit that is valid for one year; as such, until the filing is complete you cannot work due to the work permit being dependent on permanent residency approval.
I presume this is done to prevent people finding a way to get into the country for the purposes of work without meeting the requirements of a work visa, which only permits you to work for the company you were hired for prior to moving to the U.S., whereas the work permit attached to a permanent residency approval lets you work anywhere and you won't be deported for quitting your job as the job isn't the reason you're in the country. Work visas can't give you a green card or permanent residency, but a fiancé visa can (as well as a green card and the choice to work anywhere once you get the work permit) so it's very stringent on the relationship checks to prevent abusing it to get benefits a work visa cannot provide.

The visa (known specifically as a K-1 Visa) itself doesn't permit someone to work until they have been approved as a permanent resident of the U.S. Filing for permanent residency takes roughly an entire year, and when filing for permanent residency you can also file for a work permit that is valid for one year; as such, until the filing is complete you cannot work due to the work permit being dependent on permanent residency approval.
I presume this is done to prevent people finding a way to get into the country for the purposes of work without meeting the requirements of a work visa, which only permits you to work for the company you were hired for prior to moving to the U.S., whereas the work permit attached to a permanent residency approval lets you work anywhere and you won't be deported for quitting your job as the job isn't the reason you're in the country. Work visas can't give you a green card or permanent residency, but a fiancé visa can (as well as a green card and the choice to work anywhere once you get the work permit) so it's very stringent on the relationship checks to prevent abusing it to get benefits a work visa cannot provide.
I suppose that does make sense. Sounds like a lot of hoops to jump through. I wish it could be more simple. If someone wants to work somewhere then let them work, but maybe report it etc somehow, but I'm sure that would be too much for the government to monitor as well. I'm glad you were able to get through the year though and stay! :)

I started working in 2012 when I was 19 and at college and I have been employed ever since then.
However, technically I did have about 4 weeks of being 'unemployed' back in 2016 when I was moving from one job to another. I just wanted a bit of time off before I started training for my new job, and also it was abroad too so I wanted to make time to see friends and family before I spent months away.
You're making feel old. hehe The answer for me is like 8 years.

I suppose that does make sense. Sounds like a lot of hoops to jump through. I wish it could be more simple. If someone wants to work somewhere then let them work, but maybe report it etc somehow, but I'm sure that would be too much for the government to monitor as well. I'm glad you were able to get through the year though and stay! :)
The process itself is simple I'd say, but the trouble comes from the verification side. Firstly there's all the background checks that need to be done to verify the K-1 isn't being applied for just to take advantage of it, and then there's the problem that a lot of people apply for it with the intent of taking advantage of it or not crossing all their T's and dotting their I's. When I had my interview for the actual green card (I don't recall how long after I entered the U.S. this was but I want to say longer than a year) the interviewer genuinely expressed relief and appreciation that me and my wife were the only couple he had seen all week where there was absolutely nothing to doubt or question. Our interview basically turned into shooting the shit for 10 minutes because there was nothing to ask us that needed confirmation, but we needed to be in the room for at least that long as a formality. Even if he was just having a week of bad cases, it still shows there's a lot of people who raise eyebrows of officials when going through that system.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds