Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Template Editing

Sylar

Addicted member
Credits
Does the forum software you use allow for outside-the-ACP template editing? I know phpbb does, but for Xenforo you have to edit styles and other similar templates directly from the ACP

I personally don't mind this anymore as I have installed an add-on to help with the editing process in the ACP, however I know it's a bit annoying when you can't use your preferred text editor for you website.

What's your take on the matter?

Advertisement Placeholder
Just Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, and Ctrl+V into your text editor, then do the same sending it back. ;)

IP.Board has a decent template editor, never tried external editing however. It certainly can't beat Dreamweaver CS6.

--Sent from Tapatalk

Just Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, and Ctrl+V into your text editor, then do the same sending it back. :wink:

IP.Board has a decent template editor, never tried external editing however. It certainly can't beat Dreamweaver CS6.

--Sent from Tapatalk

And, this serves another purpose, you can actually save a copy of the original on text pad, just in case the original gets corrupted somehow in the editing process. At least that's what I did and it saved my forum from a botched editing job on more than one occasion.

Does the forum software you use allow for outside-the-ACP template editing? I know phpbb does, but for Xenforo you have to edit styles and other similar templates directly from the ACP

I personally don't mind this anymore as I have installed an add-on to help with the editing process in the ACP, however I know it's a bit annoying when you can't use your preferred text editor for you website.

What's your take on the matter?
phpBB actually allows for both, but depending on your settings, if you edit a template, the changes can be stored either via the filesystem or a cache that holds your changes and presents them to the site. the latter is good for a quick temporary fix. But if you install a mod using UMIL or AUTOMOD, them changes will be erased. So I would guess for me it depends on what crapped out or something. I used to prefer doing the changes in the ACP, but as i've learned, its oftentimes better to edit via the notepad++

IPB has a very nice editor, all done within the ACP aside from the installing process if I remember correctly. I prefer having it in the ACP as I'm not that big on code editing, but for simple fixes I dig ACP editing.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds