Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Staff Retention

Advertisement Placeholder
Sometimes real life gets in the way and we lose valuable staff members...what are some tips for staff retention when it's not real life getting in the way?
I think treating staff like friends rather than employees is the way to overcome retention issues.

Too many forums looks at their staff like employees but most of them are 100% volunteer and have a job, life, kids, school and everything in between.

A forum volunteer moderator should be looked at like their your friend helping you out. Because that's pretty much what they're doing.

I say we try not to expect too much of them.

When your community gets big enough where you actually need a lot of staff, at that point, you should be making money because your community will be expensive to run. That's when I'd look to paying for moderators and then you can look at them as employees.

That's my 2 cents at least. We need to change the culture on volunteers on forums.

I think treating staff like friends rather than employees is the way to overcome retention issues.

Too many forums looks at their staff like employees but most of them are 100% volunteer and have a job, life, kids, school and everything in between.

A forum volunteer moderator should be looked at like their your friend helping you out. Because that's pretty much what they're doing.

I say we try not to expect too much of them.

When your community gets big enough where you actually need a lot of staff, at that point, you should be making money because your community will be expensive to run. That's when I'd look to paying for moderators and then you can look at them as employees.

That's my 2 cents at least. We need to change the culture on volunteers on forums.

What if your forum is part business that earns money? And they get paid (not much, but something)?

What if your forum is part business that earns money? And they get paid (not much, but something)?
I mean, if they get paid then they're actually employees, right? I still think a good culture is needed but they still are obligated at that point per your employee agreement.

I'm a paid community manager in another community. It's not a full salary but I'm still expected to do so much.

I mean, if they get paid then they're actually employees, right? I still think a good culture is needed but they still are obligated at that point per your employee agreement.

I'm a paid community manager in another community. It's not a full salary but I'm still expected to do so much.

More like freelancers I'd think?

Yeah.

I think that’s a good way to see it. But maybe with some added flair.

Freelancers always gives the feel of being able to be replaced on a dime if you will.

We don’t want to treat our staff like that right?

I used to freelance in Chicago in advertising as a graphic artist. I never felt that I would be discarded because I was good at what I did and got called back just about every day. If you work hard, you get appreciated. If you're lazy, then yeah, you'll get replaced.

I'd say the toughest decisions are where to draw the line where the staff are in disagreement over how to handle a troublesome member. It's unfair to expect any volunteer to "babysit" troublesome members on forums, while the site owner is reluctant to ban anyone due to the difficulty of gaining forum activity these days, and the possible drama that could unravel from their friends. Common scenario, I reckon.

I'd say the toughest decisions are where to draw the line where the staff are in disagreement over how to handle a troublesome member. It's unfair to expect any volunteer to "babysit" troublesome members on forums, while the site owner is reluctant to ban anyone due to the difficulty of gaining forum activity these days, and the possible drama that could unravel from their friends. Common scenario, I reckon.
It's common sure.

I try not to ban, myself. Being the only staff member here, I get to keep that decision all to myself.

But if someone is starting to make the community too toxic to keep coming back to, then I'll gladly take care of the problem.

If I ever create a staff position here - I'll want that same attitude for the team.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds