Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Staff Members breaking rules

HyperActive

Recognized member
Website
forumdynamic.com
Credits
This hasn't happened to any of my forums, though I have seen it a few times on other forums. Have you ever had a staff member break a rule? How did you react to such a thing and what actions did you take to prevent it from happening once more?

If this were to happen, just like any other member, I'd remind them of the rules. Of course this depends on which rule is broken and how many times this has happened, and also their level in the staff. I would go on to remind them and keep an eye on them for a while to catch them if this happened once more. I would treat them a bit more harsh than any regular member because Staff members should be responsible and should have already read the rules to understand them. With members on the other hand, not many read them or remember them.

Advertisement Placeholder
It has never happened to me before, but I'm pretty certain I'd flip out and fire them without any further consideration - as a staff member you have to be an example for others, breaking rules of a board you're supposedly helping to manage is not acceptable IMO.

I broke a rule here- and I think I was "officially" staff at the time - by saying a site (think it was holderhost) was finished on my profile; and linking to it. @xpl0iter and myself never picked up on the obvious profile spam I had committed. A user reported me and I dealt with the moderation and deleted the offending posts.

Mistakes do happen unfortunately but staff should be held more accountable than members.

It hasn't happened to me but if it did I would talk to them before doing anything such as banning them or demoting them.

Depends on the rule I think - if it was clearly a one-time moment of madness or forgetfulness then I'd just remind them of the rule and let it go.

If they were deliberately challenging my authority by breaking rules then they'd have to go, but I've never had either situation come up, and I've had the same staff members for over a year now :)

My last admin was a really amazing guy when he was a regular forum member. But he became power mad when he got the admin role and started trolling and targeting members. I'm not sure why he took on a personal vendetta against my members. This went so far beyond just rule breaking. Before then, he seemed really decent and nice and was actually my most prolific poster. I warned him about harassing members as it was causing division. Unfortunately, it resulted in his ban. Basically, I just deleted his account. It really got that bad.

I would discuss it over with the staff member and let them know what they did wrong. Then if they continued it, I would have to let them go. They should be smart enough to know that one warning is all they are going to get.

I've broken my own rules before. I left the forum and gave owner status to a different Administrator who I thought I could trust. Turns out he and a couple other members tried to turn my members against me and tried to frame me. The Administrator whom I gave owner status to deleted my forum, I had to go restore it again for the sake of the members who still enjoyed it. A couple didn't trust me after that and they had a hard time believing that I wasn't the one who deleted it. But in the end I gained their trust but the forum fell.

Some rules are meant to broken.

If a staff of mine breaks my forum rules, first thing I will do is have a chat with the staff.

I will clarify my staff about what is acceptable and what is not.

Automatic warning, if they keep continuing to break rules I will surely remove them from the staff position.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds