Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Should employees get to pick their break times?

The question is a bit tricky because I don't think it's a good thing to let employees pick the time for their break one thing is something is always bound to happen and at a time when they could be needed is when they might claim that they are on their break so I feel it's best the bed the break be fixed by the boss and should be generalized thing.

Advertisement Placeholder
If your entire staff takes a break at the same time, and when a customer comes at the same time, no one can attend the customer and there will be a loss. Therefore, I believe staff should be allowed to take breaks according to their comfort zone so that there is someone to attend to customer.

That is right we are not robots and we do need breaks we can't just work 8 hours straight without any break it sounds like hell every bussness needs to have breaks

Seriously, the max I can go long working in any kind of company is 5 hours. If they don't allow break after 5 hours of working, I don't think that it's going to be something I would be interested in doing. Human body breaks down with too much stress when companies will replace you fast when they don't need you again. So, why kill myself?

Seriously, the max I can go long working in any kind of company is 5 hours. If they don't allow break after 5 hours of working, I don't think that it's going to be something I would be interested in doing. Human body breaks down with too much stress when companies will replace you fast when they don't need you again. So, why kill myself?

There are many companies that require you to work for 10 hours. They may offer a break for 30 minutes after the first five hours. A 30 minute break might be fine as long as the job is not stressful at all. If the job is quite stressful, then they should offer more time so that employees could refresh themselves.

There are many companies that require you to work for 10 hours. They may offer a break for 30 minutes after the first five hours. A 30 minute break might be fine as long as the job is not stressful at all. If the job is quite stressful, then they should offer more time so that employees could refresh themselves.

A 30 minutes break won't be bad at all. That is an hour break in-between the 10 hours of work, right? That is pretty cool as long as the productivity level at work is good and not affected. I am still thinking that it is better that they ask for the staff opinion in creating time for breaks too.

In many companies, they may offer different periods for taking a break. However, the department of the employee might be different. For example, the IT department in a business may be allowed have a break from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM. The timing of other employees belonging to different departments might be different.
I've never seen any company where the different departments in the company go on break at different time. You can choose not to go for break when others are doing so, but you won't have a different assigned time of your own.

There will be a lots of confusion if the employees are asked to choose their own break time as different workers would come up with different time for their break period. So the management should fix time for break..

You're very correct about some companies that would require you to work for 10 hours or even more. I have worked in a company that required me working 13 hours everyday. But I don't work more than 5 hours without going for a break.

Employees should be allowed to take breaks as many times they want as much as they want and whenever. Just the work shouldn't get impacted. If they are meetings all the expectations set for them, there should not be any reason for the higher authorities to poke their nose into it.
The reason why most businesses doesn't allow this kind of freedom to their staffs with choosing their breaks and how often they can go on it is because there will be some workers who will default on the privilege given to them.

The reason why most businesses doesn't allow this kind of freedom to their staffs with choosing their breaks and how often they can go on it is because there will be some workers who will default on the privilege given to them.
In MNCs , there's no such restriction of taking number of breaks. The employees still take it responsibly. Like 2 tea/coffee breaks a day of 15min each one in the morning, one in the evening. And a 1hr lunch break.

In MNCs , there's no such restriction of taking number of breaks. The employees still take it responsibly. Like 2 tea/coffee breaks a day of 15min each one in the morning, one in the evening. And a 1hr lunch break.

Unfortunately, things are done differently in so many countries. Just like it's done here in my country, there's nothing like taking coffee breaks every 15 minutes. In all the companies that I have worked, they don't offer such privileges to their workers. They may do it for top executives but never for the foot workers.

Unfortunately, things are done differently in so many countries. Just like it's done here in my country, there's nothing like taking coffee breaks every 15 minutes. In all the companies that I have worked, they don't offer such privileges to their workers. They may do it for top executives but never for the foot workers.
That's sad. For us, the machines are always available from where you can take tea/coffee/milk whenever you feel like.

I would love to enjoy two tea breaks in a working day and a long 1 hour lunch break every day at work. If I'm given this amount of break every day, I will never experience burn out because there's ample time to rest and feel refreshed.

I would love to enjoy two tea breaks in a working day and a long 1 hour lunch break every day at work. If I'm given this amount of break every day, I will never experience burn out because there's ample time to rest and feel refreshed.
Yeah! Employers should take due care of their employees and not just care about getting the work done by them. They should understand that if their employees get breaks between works, they would be more productive.

I've never seen any company where the different departments in the company go on break at different time. You can choose not to go for break when others are doing so, but you won't have a different assigned time of your own.

I have worked in a company where they allowed certain people to go on breaks on certain occasions. However, mostly they used to allow all the people to go on a break. The fact of the matter remains that certain companies may do that in case if the workload is huge.

I have worked in a company where they allowed certain people to go on breaks on certain occasions. However, mostly they used to allow all the people to go on a break. The fact of the matter remains that certain companies may do that in case if the workload is huge.
We don't have breaks in my office this way but if they can find a way to make it work, a lot customers might like it. I wouldn't mind either as it would give me a more flexible break time to work with.

We don't have breaks in my office this way but if they can find a way to make it work, a lot customers might like it. I wouldn't mind either as it would give me a more flexible break time to work with.

In many places, all the employees tend to go on break. However, in case if the organisation is really huge, then in that case, it might be a really hard thing to offer break to all the employees all at once. In that case, employees go on a break at different times.

In many places, all the employees tend to go on break. However, in case if the organisation is really huge, then in that case, it might be a really hard thing to offer break to all the employees all at once. In that case, employees go on a break at different times.
There should be working procedures in place to make sure work still keeps going on when few workers are on their break while others are active on duty. If they don't have provision for this, every other jobs will come to a halt until everyone are back in their duty post.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds