Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Should All Forum Moderators Have Customer Service Experience?

Rainman

Credits
Every forum owner expects their forum to be "big" at some indefinite time in future. If that's the case, where many people interact, there's bound to be trouble. Disputes will flare up from time to time. To defuse them might require someone who has handled similar[sticky] situations before. Customer service reps handle rude customers all the time and from the experience gained, can make great forum moderators.

If you can afford it, would it be much better to hire only moderators who have extensive experience dealing with people and helping them [re]solve whatever issues they have?

Advertisement Placeholder
I guess that a forum focused on specialized high tier advice, like banking, that's also selling somethings could benefit from such a tactic. But for most boards, that function on ad revenue, picking moderators from the existing pool of users it's faster and cost efficient - the 'honor' of moderating is enough reward, no need for real money. Plus, as a board admin, you can pick only efficient people that follow some guidelines that you set down. Most times when I see moderator abuse I put it all on the back of the administration, it was by their choice that the bad moderator got its badge.

Customer service is either the product of learning and experience or simply an innate or natural quality that certain individuals possess. To hire "only moderators who have extensive experience dealing with people" may marginalize those people who are equally capable of moderating a forum despite having limited experience. I think you can just impose a sanction system for moderators who are less likely to adhere to customer service rules or principles.

Having customer service experience is definitely an advantage for a potential forum moderator. These people are more likely apt to handle arguments and debates gone wrong well. That being said, there are also people who can learn whilst being on the job. So even without an experience as a customer service representative, they can handle being a moderator as well. After all, what better way to learn more about handling a forum than a forum itself.

I would say that learning from moderating forums is a far greater experience. If you can find someone who has experience in the forum moderating area, you're better off hiring that one rather than a person who has experience in the customer service area.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds