Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Resolved my Mail Server Issue:

rick

Recognized member
Website
rickdavis.org
Credits
In case anyone is interested...

Email sent from my mail server has been flagged immediately as spam when trying to join forums such as this one :nolike:
Luckily, Jordan manually enabled my account after an email questioning the rejection due to spam.

SETUP:
Linux VPS server: (RickDavis.org)
Email Transfer Agent: Postfix
IMAP Server: Dovecot
Web App: Squirrelmail

DNS CNAME Sub-domain record: mail.rickdavis.org
DNS MX record: rickdavis.org

Just the other day, I was inspecting the header coming from my domain email server and noticed the following...
(just showing the important lines)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Received: from rickdavis.org ([-my ip address-])
-- blah blah
Received: from mail.rickdavis.org (localhost [127.0.0.1])
by rickdavis.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id​
-- blah blah
Received: from -- ip address --
(SquirrelMail authenticated user register)
by mail.rickdavis.org with HTTP:​
-- blah blah
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently IMHO, spam detection was triggered due to the different names: mail.rickdavis.org and rickdavis.org
As this was a transfer agent issue, I modified my /etc/postfix/main.cf file and changed
myhostname = rickdavis.org to myhostname = mail.rickdavis.org
haven't been flagged as spam since. :thumbsup:

The confusing thing is...
I assumed that I should populate the Postfix myhostname parameter with the DNS MX record,
but apparently this is a problem when running Squirrelmail from the mail.rickdavis.org DNS CNAME sub-domain.
After changing myhostname = mail.rickdavis.org all references in my email headers match (mail.rickdavis.org)

I don't know how it all works, but it appears to be fixed now. :D

Hope this helps someone else going through the same thing.

Advertisement Placeholder
Thanks for explaining how you resolved your issue. It will help other people who have come across this issue!
I have never experienced this issue with my VPSs, so I am wondering why it happened for you! :O

I have never experienced this issue with my VPSs, so I am wondering why it happened for you! :O
That's easy, because I have "the luck" :wtf: , sometimes things just happen to me.

I'm sure I caused it by configuring Postfix using the TLD, and running Squirrelmail from the subdomain defined via DNS.
One or the other, not both. Actually email worked just fine, but spam filters kept beating me down. :beatup:

Live and Learn I guess

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds