Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Pruning inactive member accounts

Website
agoraforo.com
Credits
Do you remove inactive members from your forum? I personally believe that it is not a good idea to do so, as these members took the time to join your site and you never know if they might return. Many forums do this, but I don't agree with it. It's one thing to delete spam accounts, but deleting real people seems unfair. Additionally, it can decrease the number of members on your board which may not be ideal. I understand that there may be valid reasons for doing so, and I would be curious to hear your perspective.

Advertisement Placeholder
It depends... if an account hasn't logged in since the day it registered and has made 0 posts then I think it's reasonable to go ahead and remove it as it doesn't really serve any purpose except from adding to your total member count. If the person was active and just stopped logging in, then I don't think it's a good idea as they may return one day and I would be a bit annoyed if I returned to a forum I used to frequent to find my account was removed.

I've never done inactive account pruning, because like you said, down the road, you never know if a user may want to return to your forum. I've been a part of boards where I was very active and disappeared for a few years and came back as an active member again. The only valid reason I see for inactive account pruning is to protect people's personal information if someone were to crack their inactive account.

No matter how many inactive members I may end up with on my forum, I never get rid of them as you never know the circumstances as to why they registered and didn't come back. Some register with the intention of coming back and then life gets hectic and they don't have the time. There will always be a time they may come back and if they come back to find their account was removed, that can be off-putting for them and can result in you losing a member who could have been an active member of the community.

I usually only do so subject to GDPR requirements; my experience is that it's usually people who have a grudge who want to stomp off in a huff anyway.

No, I don't. I've had members come back after several months (or even several years), and they usually appreciate being able to pick up where they left off.

The only time I've deleted accounts for inactivity was after the move from ZetaBoards to MyBB. I pre-registered about 100 accounts on the new board for the people who were most recently active or had the most posts - and later deleted the ones that were never used. But that was a one-time thing with specific circumstances behind it.

Well, if they used to be active but all of a sudden went off the radar, I wouldn't purge or prune them off the community. I will try as much as possible to reach out to them through emails and hopefully they will come back.

But in a situation where they never made even one post but just registered and disappeared, I will give them only 2 months grace before kicking them out.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds