Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Phpbb

Sam1

Mythical member
Website
holderhost.com
Credits
OMG- What a stupid, time consuming forum software. :madsmile:

Everything takes longer than in Mybb and plugin installations are manual - YOU edit and change the files.

Some plugins are 30min jobs- who wants to spend that sort of time installing a plugin?

Well, I thought I could work with it and try something new- but no thankyou!

Advertisement Placeholder
phpBB is the underdog when it comes to free forum softwares. It's very hard to maintain a forum software for no pay, god knows how MyBB does it. You just can't expect much from free software. Waste of time or not, it's not a waste of money.

To be honest, you should just stick to paid forum softwares, or MyBB if you can't fork over $140+. And forum softwares could use a $20-$75 forum software, people might actually be able to afford it for once.

--Sent from Tapatalk

phpBB sucks soooooooo bad. Honestly, there is no reason to not at least use MyBB. It's free too.
I agree with you Hubok, I've been thinking that for a long time. There would be no problem coughing over that much money for me.

OMG- What a stupid, time consuming forum software. :madsmile:

Everything takes longer than in Mybb and plugin installations are manual - YOU edit and change the files.

Some plugins are 30min jobs- who wants to spend that sort of time installing a plugin?

Well, I thought I could work with it and try something new- but no thankyou!

shoulda pm'd me sam. I do this stuff in my sleep.... you should see how nice my site runs. but i wont link drop in here lol

shoulda pm'd me sam. I do this stuff in my sleep.... you should see how nice my site runs. but i wont link drop in here lol
Thats could be because you're used to phpbb. I mean for a new comer you have to agree that its a little bit tough to get a hold of it.
But I have heard so many people saying like its one of the most powerful forum software out there! :smile:
And I believe thats true also!
Performance and awesomeness doesn't come easy. For example linux, one of the most powerful os but yet not so many people like it because of the complexity!

Perhaps you are right my friend, I know that when I first started my venture into this software, it took me a good deal of time. Being without a job for 2 years helped me to learn the software quite well, in and out.

and when i hear of users having problems customizing, well it inspires a guy like me to work toward developing something for the software that would make it possible for 1 click mod installs. Its not impossible in my eyes xD

Perhaps you are right my friend, I know that when I first started my venture into this software, it took me a good deal of time. Being without a job for 2 years helped me to learn the software quite well, in and out.

and when i hear of users having problems customizing, well it inspires a guy like me to work toward developing something for the software that would make it possible for 1 click mod installs. Its not impossible in my eyes xD

If you could create a plugin for 1 click mod installs and 1 click theme installs, that would go a long way to helping Phpbb compete against the other two big opensource forum softwares. :)

lol my opinion is going to be completely biased but its probably one of the best imo. just not the easiest thing for novice users to customize.

lets see for the theme installations: bare bones phpBB comes with 2 default styles. so the work that would be needed done would be to allow for the mod to access the styles database on phpBB.com, return a feed back to the user so he/she could select one they like. once they do the Install button would have to trigger the function to download the style to the correct directory in the users phpbb installation, then unpack the archive and install.

the hardest part of that script is probably getting it to interface with phpbb.com. and i cant quite work out how it would be displayed. ... seems like the easiest would be to have the styles database appear as a plain text list, but therein lies the problem of letting the user preview it unless it was configured similar to styles that were already installed and a preview button would create a popup, linking to the styles demo board....

hahah i'll shush, im in development mode xD

I actually like phpbb. It has a certain charm to it. It doesn't pretend to be anything other than a forum system. :p

Bare stock phpBB is just that. This is why when an owner decides to run with this, they must realize that they will spend a good deal of time getting it set up (style, logos, custom bbcodes) even if they want to run a near stock board.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds