Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Pay to be unbanned

Shawn Gossman1

Legendary member
Administrator
Website
www.shawngossman.com
Credits
What do you think about the idea of a banned member paying to be unbanned?

This could really only work for certain offenses. Some bans need to stick.

It could be a great way to deter members from doing things to get banned, knowing they'd have to pay in order to come back.

You could call it a fine or a citation if you wanted to.

What's your opinion on this?

Advertisement Placeholder
Its a great way to pay towards forum costs haha.

Nah for me, if a member has been banned, thats it. There should be no return at all.
Yeah, like a forum fine system, haha.

I agree though for the most part, if I ban you, I don't want you to come back. It takes a lot to get me to ban someone. If they push and prod, I'll usually do it.

That happened recently, unfortunately.

Yeah, like a forum fine system, haha.

I agree though for the most part, if I ban you, I don't want you to come back. It takes a lot to get me to ban someone. If they push and prod, I'll usually do it.

That happened recently, unfortunately.
He had it coming though. No need to feel bad!

Instead of paying to be unbanned, would it make more sense to have a system where a user isn't fully banned, but "restricted", and they need to pay a fine or stew in the "prison" for a set time?

They could see what they were missing and be sad lmao.

Instead of paying to be unbanned, would it make more sense to have a system where a user isn't fully banned, but "restricted", and they need to pay a fine or stew in the "prison" for a set time?

They could see what they were missing and be sad lmao.
I like that idea!

You could even make a prison board that they can access :LOL:

I like that idea!

You could even make a prison board that they can access :LOL:
Yes! Doomworld used to have a forum section called "Post Hell" which was the only forum that "helled" members could see. It was garish, and had crazy midi music playing.

1672195507589.png

If you are truly banning someone, then no, they shouldn't be able to buy their way back on to your forum. You are presumably banning them for repeatedly breaking your rules, so why would you want them back on at all?

But having members pay for warnings is an interesting idea. Most forums allow a couple of warnings before banning someone. If you charged them a few $ for each warning they may take it more seriously.

It would be fun to then put that money towards a giveaway every few months. Kind of like a "swear jar". One lucky forum member wins $$ from those members who can't seem to follow the rules.

If you are truly banning someone, then no, they shouldn't be able to buy their way back on to your forum. You are presumably banning them for repeatedly breaking your rules, so why would you want them back on at all?

But having members pay for warnings is an interesting idea. Most forums allow a couple of warnings before banning someone. If you charged them a few $ for each warning they may take it more seriously.

It would be fun to then put that money towards a giveaway every few months. Kind of like a "swear jar". One lucky forum member wins $$ from those members who can't seem to follow the rules.
I love the swear jar idea, especially giving it as a prize to a good member :cool:

And welcome to FAF! Glad to have you here @GTCS

I love the swear jar idea, especially giving it as a prize to a good member :cool:

And welcome to FAF! Glad to have you here @GTCS
oh man this is such a good idea. If nothing else, it would leave the forum free of ne'er do wells. There is the issue of collecting fines though. It's probably hard to enforce.

There is the issue of collecting fines though
My thought was the warnings would effectively "ban" the person until they paid.

They get a warning and explanation of the fee. If they don't pay then they no longer have forum access. If they do pay, they are allowed back in until the next warning.

My thought was the warnings would effectively "ban" the person until they paid.

They get a warning and explanation of the fee. If they don't pay then they no longer have forum access. If they do pay, they are allowed back in until the next warning.
That sounds like an organized way of doing things :D

You could create special premium membership payment profiles for this sort of thing, too.

To make it a little easier.

If you would allow someone to pay to be unbanned then would you accept someone back into a shop if they paid for access into the shop if they shoplifted?
Over here (Singapore), there are cases of shopowners giving a chance to the shoplifter, saying that they won't press charges if restitution has been made.

So I think it is somewhat doable. Of course persistent trolls will not get that opportunity.

Over here (Singapore), there are cases of shopowners giving a chance to the shoplifter, saying that they won't press charges if restitution has been made.

So I think it is somewhat doable. Of course persistent trolls will not get that opportunity.
Sadly here in New Zealand shop keepers and people working in shops have lost their lives, their fingers etc. So doubt they would be as forgiving here.

I can imagine what the penalty for shoplifting is over there?

I think I'd rather pay for it with money than face a rattan cane.

I could see two major issues, both resulting in long-term issues that would not show up early nor would they justify the added revenue.

The first is that it would likely encourage forum owners to ban members more often. This could be done by either reducing the amounts of warnings or making the rules harsher, both would end up with more bans and users ending in a forum with overly harsh bans.

The second would be a simple abuse of the system. Making minor issues like spamming, hostile replies, etc a pay-to-play style system where the same users just buy their freedom and others can not would allow some members to go after others without worrying about the rules.

Overall I do not see the system being used often and it encourages admins to punish users instead of trying to correct issues that are borderline with the community standards.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds