Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

XenForo Mod security rules

Al1

Recognized member
Website
eatsleepgamerepeat.net
Credits
While checking this issue in detail, we could able to understand that your website is built using the XenForo platform. In the below forum thread, we can see the encounter of similar issues for the platform. Upon checking further, we can see that the server-side security mechanism(mod-security rules) is blocking certain actions on the website.

As you have hosted the website in a shared environment, it is impossible to whitelist the mod-sec rules that are being triggered now. Alternatively, you can host the website in a dedicated vps to overcome this issue. In the dedicated server, you can whitelist or disable the mechanism as per your choice.
This was the reply from my webhost when I queried intermittent 403 errors. Can anyone recommend a host which will run xenForo without such issues?

Advertisement Placeholder
As I mentioned over on XF.. the only shared hosting provider I would be willing to use would be Matt W.
His shared hosting services start at £5 and go up to £20.
https://mattwservices.co.uk/resources/categories/shared-hosting.9/I don't use shared hosting.. preferring to be on a VPS (which I maintain).
I remember using shared hosting back when I used PhpBB and MyBB and I had many issues with those platforms.

VPS is the way to go with online community - IMO.

VPS is the way to go with online community - IMO.
The upper tier of Matt's packages will rival many "low end" VPS offerings. He has a tendency not to overload his servers. It's one reason he's a little more expensive... oh, and the fact he actually knows what he's doing in case you need assistance. ;)

Sounds like you might need to upgrade your version of xenforo software if you're getting those sort of errors.
No, they didn't have to "upgrade" XF version... what ended up happening was their host helped modify the modsecurity rules and their site continued to work fine. It was strictly a hosting provider issue, not an XF script issue.
It's a known issue with modsecurity needing to be tweaked if using certain rule sets.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds