Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Members who don't upload avatars

lludawg

Reputable member
Credits
What do you think of them? Do you wish they would upload an avatar? Do you not care? Personally I tend to respect members who upload an avatar a lot more because it gives me something to associate their posts with.

Advertisement Placeholder
If I had things going my way, I would always have made it compulsory for every member to upload their own Picture as their Avatar - this would help me connect with them better. Unfortunately, I dont have things in my control and as such, I cannot dictate my terms.

I always feel comfortable with many people who are open and put up their own photo as avatars. Those who dont, well, I try t bond with them too if their content is good. This doesnt happen though on tech Forums. There was a site where we used to discuss personal matters and on that site, many didnt have their images as their avatars. Still, I could bond with them.

I think, on a personal level, bonding grows better when -
1. You see the other person or
2. You get to know the personal sides of the person.

This is an area that's subject to contention for me. I mean, there are members who do upload avatars, but apparently they're not their real pictures. Just things they most likely care about or have affection for. I understand why people try to shirk giving away their real photos: they want privacy. In matters of privacy, you have to respect the person's decision. Although people without avatars are still welcome in various forums, we can say they're still good members if their posts are note-worthy and helpful.

It certainly helps you identify the persons posts quicker as you eluded to. I don't think any less of people who don't upload avatars though, sometimes there are reasons for them not doing so - other times they just can't be bothered I guess.

It is more annoying when people change their avatars often.

I do not think not having a avatar is a bad thing, but I prefer if my members use one because it makes the forum more personal. Almost everyone on my forum uses a avatar, which makes me really happy.

P.S. I think if a member is not using a avatar it has to be a personal preference and I respect that.

Greg

I really try and put people off using their own picture as avatars because it can lead to major privacy issues. I have had forums that included members from groups for whom internet use and pubic interaction was frowned up and in one case someone deliberately used the information they had posted to find out their real life name and address and posted them. I did take it down as soon as informed and took action against the person who posted it but it did not change the fact that for a few minutes their details were open for all to see.
I do like it when posters use an avatar of something or other not their personal picture though - it gives a feeling of connection, but I dont make a fuss about it - people can make their own choices.

Okay... This makes me want to ask a question here... Why can't I upload my own avatar here? It shows up as a question mark every time I try to upload my own picture.:/

Anyway, on to the topic, for me, I do like it when a member upload their own avatar. I don't care much if it's their real photo or maybe a photo off the internet. Just some avatar to show that take the forum seriously and want something to represent them. I pretty much relate the picture to the person. If it's an animal, I think that he is a pet lover. If it's a car, I figure it's because he loves vehicles. So in any case, any avatar just to represent what he loves in life.

Of course, there are members who doesn't like uploading avatars at all. That doesn't mean that they don't necessarily care about the forum. Maybe they aren't just into uploading photos of their own and just focus more on the content of what they post. I'm still thankful for such members.

Those who don't upload any pictures and constantly post non-sense things, they are the member that give me a headache, lol.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds