Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Member Incentives/Rewards

Kleineganz

Recognized member
Website
endressanalytics.com
Credits
I participate in numerous forums, as well as manage a couple of my own. One forum I participate in has this cool incentive program where you earn money (virtual currency) for starting new threads and replying to existing ones. This "money" can then be used to purchase "VIP" items on the forum and it really helps encourage engagement.

Problem is they are a XenForo Forum and I use SMF. I haven't found a free SMF mod that has any sort of similar capability, but I wonder if there are any known forum reward systems out there that may be compatible with a variety of forums. I'm pretty sure it would be a mod I'd have to pay for, but I'd like to see what's available. Do you guys know about any sort of system like that?

Advertisement Placeholder
I'll be honest, I don't know much about forum software but I have an idea. You could launch a contest the 'oldschool' way. Start on the first of a month and say something like this: the poster with the most posts and threads at the end of the month wins X or can choose from X,Y,Z as a reward. Then set some guidelines like: to qualify you need to post over 100 times and open at least 10 threads. Done! Until you figure another solution this is an idea.

I did try something like that - and ended up with a bunch of members who were suspicious as hell that I was trying to bribe them or send secret viruses. Goodness knows why - people with no understanding will commit the most basic security risks without batting an eyelid then panic about things that are no risk at all. As soon as one comes up with a daft thought it spreads.

I'll be honest, I don't know much about forum software but I have an idea. You could launch a contest the 'oldschool' way. Start on the first of a month and say something like this: the poster with the most posts and threads at the end of the month wins X or can choose from X,Y,Z as a reward. Then set some guidelines like: to qualify you need to post over 100 times and open at least 10 threads. Done! Until you figure another solution this is an idea.
Unfortunately that's really not a good solution. I need something that's built into the forum software - part of the incentive is to see your points increasing.

That's great, but sometimes it's hard to keep up with the incentive system particularly you have offline schedules to keep. I did hear about one forum offering cool merchandise to sow more member engagement. I think they're offering a gaming console and have urged the members to take part in it. It's a cool way of keeping members motivated but I'm sure different forum owners have different way of doing things.

That's great, but sometimes it's hard to keep up with the incentive system particularly you have offline schedules to keep. I did hear about one forum offering cool merchandise to sow more member engagement. I think they're offering a gaming console and have urged the members to take part in it. It's a cool way of keeping members motivated but I'm sure different forum owners have different way of doing things.
That's no the kind of incentive program I want. The kind I want would be completely automated. Members earn points for posting/engaging and then they can spend those points on VIP privileges (posting to special VIP only boards, access to additional themes or smilies, ability to post videos or links, etc.)

That's no the kind of incentive program I want. The kind I want would be completely automated. Members earn points for posting/engaging and then they can spend those points on VIP privileges (posting to special VIP only boards, access to additional themes or smilies, ability to post videos or links, etc.)
You could switch your forum to MyBB or phpBB software. Both are free and have these points systems you are talking about. Personally I am using MyBB and am thinking of adding a points system in the future.

You could switch your forum to MyBB or phpBB software. Both are free and have these points systems you are talking about. Personally I am using MyBB and am thinking of adding a points system in the future.
I just switched from phpBB. That software is awful - I used it for 2 years and I really like SMF a lot better. I just need to figure out a way to set up a point system since there are no updated mods for it at the moment. I was hoping there might be some 3rd party forum point system in existence, but I guess not.

I only know of these mods for SMF:
  • Awards Mod
  • Points System Mod
The first one allows you to give little awards to members and the second one allows members to be given points for every thread created or post created. But as far as a mod that allows users to buy VIP items or something like that, I haven't seen such a mod for SMF. I have yet to find a third party software that allows that as well.

But SMF has a shop that you can also add in your forum. In this shop, users can use their points for added features. I hope this helps you!

P.S.

I cannot post links yet since my account is new but you can certainly find those mods just by a quick search. Good luck!

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds