Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Linux VS

Sam1

Mythical member
Website
holderhost.com
Credits
Do you think linux- or more specifically a linux distro like Ubuntu will become widely used and popular? What do you think is holding linux back?

Advertisement Placeholder
its free. sheeples dont trust free. the internet is about the only place where you can get decent something for nothing. also ubuntu doesnt come with a premium rate number to phone when your machine doesnt work so some nice person can tell you to press control alt and delete. you are expected to have a brain enough to work out basics for yourself

The problem is people doesn't know where to get help on linux distributions.
Like for ubuntu, the official forum & IRC are incredibly helpful.
Almost everything will be solved if you go there, which for windows is not true!

I simply love ubuntu, for the support, usability, being free and opensource, for the availability of awesome security related softwares, fast and hassle free customizations, almost no virus/security vulnerability and more! The list is endless in my case!

I think this is what's holding linux back- because I think Ubuntu is fantastic!!

- Support for popular applications e.g I tried installing iTunes on it with play on linux and wine and it didn't work for the latest version.
- Time- a lot of things take longer to do on Ubuntu- you always have to look for workarounds etc.
- Technicality- lets be honest, although ubuntu is almost there and things like installation are super easy- it still takes more technical knowledge to use Ubuntu. A lot of issues in Ubuntu are solved using Linux terminal etc.

Yeah thats true. linux distros are not really helpful in installing windows based applications. Well you can try #wine-hq for getting help.
Another issue is lack of drivers, for example, driver for nvidia optimus technology is not there for linux. We have go through a specialized custom made driver which is not even from nvidia!

Well, the biggest issue, is people are trying to use it like windows when its not even windows! its entirely different! So they use it and say, hey this is nothing like windows, windows is much easier!

For example, to hide a file in windows, you have to got to the properties of a folder and make it hidden. In linux all you have to do is add a "." in front of the file name! If you need to see the hidden files in windows, you have to goto "folder options" and select the option for that. In linux all you have to do is, press ctrl+h

The main reason of Linux not getting the credit is cause it's rarely advertised, people don't really trust free stuff, Windows applications don't work that well on it, and most distributions don't have decent support.

The main reason of Linux not getting the credit is cause it's rarely advertised, people don't really trust free stuff, Windows applications don't work that well on it, and most distributions don't have decent support.
Most distros doesn't have. But the most used ones have pretty decent support. For example, Red hat and Ubuntu, I will have to say their free support is super awesome. And if you're paying a fraction of the money you pay for buying windows, you can buy the support for any distros like ubuntu, redhat etc. That support, "about what I have heard" I will say, is better than windows! :)

Ubuntu has great support form the support guys and the community. That's one of the reasons why I like it.

It is not marketed as other OS is being done.

People find it little uncomfortable, as installing apps and other content is not that easy.

No so user friendly as expected by the users.

It is not marketed as other OS is being done.

People find it little uncomfortable, as installing apps and other content is not that easy.

No so user friendly as expected by the users.
What you mean by installation in not easy. It can never be easier than it is now in linux. Just open software manager, search the name of the app you want, click on install button! o_O

Its easier than windows.
Anyway about the marketing part, what you have said is right! But again, its free, I don't think its the companies who should market a free product. If its good indeed, the users will market it!(like I do) lol! :p

Marketing wise, there's a manga just on Ubuntu. It's called Ubunchu, check it out before saying there's no marketing Jason.

About Installing, i used to run ubuntu old versions. To install we need to run terminal and code. I haven't used the new one yet.

My view on marketing is, they haven't reached users through linux users..and many ad or video is seen in any programs(i may be wrong)

About Installing, i used to run ubuntu old versions. To install we need to run terminal and code. I haven't used the new one yet.

My view on marketing is, they haven't reached users through linux users..and many ad or video is seen in any programs(i may be wrong)
True. But linux has changed a lot from those days! IMHO you should try it. Its a lot better!
If yoiu want eye candy install kubuntu, otherwise use ubuntu with gnome 3, not unity! unity sucks imo.

Hey Jason, you apparently tried some really old version I didn't play with. Try the latest one now.

I once tried ubuntu and actually liked it to a certain extent, but hated the fact that you need to download the "restricted-extras" in case you want to play music / any other mnedia files.
Linux is a beauty, you just need the right eyes to see 'em, considering the fact that I'm blind when it comes to Linux :p

The restricted-extras are stuff like codecs, purely extra for the system, that's why they are put in that package.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 23 82.1%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds