Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Can you please point me in the right direction?

dahLabdo

Listens to Taylor Swift
Website
sin-studios.com
Credits
Hey AJ friends,

I have a Xenforo forum but I am having a problem with the emails being sent, I am unable to communicate with my members and also they are unable to receive confirmation emails at registration.

I am using Linux Ubuntu 23.04 - there are no errors from what I can see (probably looking in the wrong place) as the script is working but nothing is being sent. Contacted Xenforo support and they've advised me it's a server error (and I'm the server admin lol).

Please can you advise me on the best course of action to find a solution? I have double checked the firewall is not preventing port 25 which I believe is the default port for mail.

Is there a mail server running? Something like postfix or exim would need to be running on the server (to receive the email from XF) and pass it onwards.

Alternatively configure something like Sendgrid or Mailgun (you should be able to set up an account, and have the email diverted from XF to it via SMTP)

Is there a mail server running? Something like postfix or exim would need to be running on the server (to receive the email from XF) and pass it onwards.

Alternatively configure something like Sendgrid or Mailgun (you should be able to set up an account, and have the email diverted from XF to it via SMTP)
Thank you. I could not find anything explicit that said you need to do x y and z to get it working but I did have an idea of installing a mailsever just in-case but didn't want to waste my time if that wasn't a fix.

I will get this installed now. Thank you so much

Just to update just in case anyone else has this problem, I ended up installing sendmail and this appears to have fixed it :D thank you to all the contributors! I attempted postfix but it didn't agree with me and sendmail was a much easier fix.

Just registered and it works. It ended up in the spam but that's normal seeing it's a new domain. Don't forget about the DMARC record and add this to your DNS.

Just registered and it works. It ended up in the spam but that's normal seeing it's a new domain. Don't forget about the DMARC record and add this to your DNS.
Thank you so much for confirming.

I have added SPF - would you recommend doing DMARC addtionally?

Thank you so much for confirming.

I have added SPF - would you recommend doing DMARC addtionally?
I think the more the merrier, since emails are getting better secured and more demanding to be separated from spam.

You definitely want SPF, you want DKIM if you can get it going and DMARC lets you manage reporting and policy around that. I haven't found a good tool for processing the DMARC reporting summaries that's also free though :(

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 17 77.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor