Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Its not just forums that are struggling. Not so many websites either!

It's clear that you're not actually reading what I've been saying, so I guess there's no point actually continuing this conversation with you.

Unfortunately social media has taken over the internet. Since a lot of people are use to using Facebook and Twitter, they often don't want to go back to using forums or websites... I feel like the early to mid 10's is when Facebook really took over. Even in the Myspace days, forums still coexisted with Myspace. Will there ever be a time where people make the switch back to forums and websites? Maybe whenever Facebook or Twitter shuts down, which if either one does shut down it won't be any time soon.
Social media and smart phones are absolutely the reason forums are shutting down combined with the younger people's short attention span and get your information now mentality. Don't forget Reddit either, Reddit is also putting forums out of business. While forums are beginning to be a thing of the past, if you offer very high quality content and get it in front of the right eyeballs, there is always room for a forum to succeed. Might take longer these days, but there's people that still love to read quality content. The problem is most new forums don't offer high quality content. So while the odds nowadays are stacked against us, doesn't mean its impossible. There are many forums that get hundreds of new signups daily with thousands of new threads each day. Lastly, the niche you pick is important too. I saw a forum on Xenforo not long ago that basically copied Xenforo. Now who thought that would be a good idea? Needless to say the site has already shut down or been shut down (not sure which one). Picking the right niche is key while offering some high end-unique content and having a little luck from the Google Gods.

Don't forget Reddit either, Reddit is also putting forums out of business.
Hold that thought. Wait until July when they've had major subreddits pull blackouts and then their biggest third party apps stop working, and let's see if it still holds.

The problem is most new forums don't offer high quality content.
Neither do most subreddits, most of Facebook, most of Twitter etc. but that's still where people are.

Mind you, Reddit *is a forum*. It's just a hub of lots of them under one roof.

It's clear that you're not actually reading what I've been saying, so I guess there's no point actually continuing this conversation with you.
No, you trot out the phrase open source and act like it is a "magic word" that means that folks give their time freely to its development.... I'm simply telling you that it's not. Being open source is not anything other than software that both individuals and businesses give their time the development of and it is a freely usable product (generally). The businesses pay folks to do it. Do many of those businesses also benefit from it? Yep....and that's the "skin in the game" that they have.
There is the common misconception of open source... and then the reality of it. Many people conflate [open source} as voluntarily/for free participation in the production of. ALL open source software consists of is software that is freely distributed with its source code and that can be worked on/extended by others. Nowhere does it state that those that work on it must (and do) do so without financial compensation.
I realize that this has trended away from the original topic... but the point I continue to attempt to get you to understand is that with almost ALL free software... there is some "skin in the game" somewhere, either by 3rd party add-ons that are paid solutions when the script itself is free, or by "reduced features" for the free version (shareware theory).

Last edited:
There seem to be two members on here having a private chat about open source in a thread about websites not being as popular as they once were due to companies and organistaons being lazy and thinking thats having a Facebook page is enough
As others have said not everyone is on Facebook.
But if it comes up in a Google search ....

Last edited:
Reddit is also putting forums out of business
Reddit may be in the process of shooting themselves, not just in the foot, but blowing an entire leg off.
I can somewhat see Reddit's position if they can justify that they need those funds to cover higher costs... but I (and many others) tend to think of it more as simply a money grab since Reddit has become so ingrained into society now.
The problem is most new forums don't offer high quality content.
Very few start out with what many would call "high quality content"... unless it's a niche area that the admin/owner is familiar with and creates interesting niche related content on it (something that many don't do). Much of society has become a group of consumers... the days of content creators seems to be a thing of the past.

A simple forum is going to be hard to compete in todays "internet" experience. You are going to have to extend the forum to MUCH more than simple posts. This is the base I offer now on my site.
I actually was/am going to aim for a similar sort of deal with my forum too. I am still in the phase of planning on what I want to for sure.

here seem to be two members on here having a private chat about open source in a thread about websites not being as popular as they once were due to companies and organistaons being lazy and thinking thats having a Facebook page is enough
Conversations morph... and that's why moderators have the ability in forum scripts to split posts.
But guess what... much of what you do currently is based upon that very open source product.... all the way from the OS your system is running on (unless your server is a Windows based setup, and even then there is some open source in there) to the very scripts that you use.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 17 77.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor