Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Is IPB4 a failure?

Belthazar

Loyal member
Credits
IPB4 was released with no help from the open source community, in addition tl having lots of bugs. I actually know a guy who upgraded to IPB4 then downgraded back the IPB3 a week later because of all the bugs in the newer version. Do you think it's a failure? Will IPB4 rebound?

Advertisement Placeholder
I think the other forum software are way better and as a result ipb4 isn't getting a lot of action on the field.
Honestly I don't know a lot of people who would even consider using the software over xenforo or mybb.

I would rather take IPB 4 than VB 5 any day. I think IPB 4 is a next step forward for them, but they all are trying to be everything (blog, CMS, forum, live chat, and social network which is WAY too bloated for many new communities and setups).

IPB4 was released with no help from the open source community, in addition tl having lots of bugs. I actually know a guy who upgraded to IPB4 then downgraded back the IPB3 a week later because of all the bugs in the newer version. Do you think it's a failure? Will IPB4 rebound?
I just wanted to add the first part of this makes no sense because IPB Is not open sourced software like mybb, phpbb, smf :p

IPB4 did have a lot of bugs. But then again this is a rework and a completely new product, that's annoyingly expected for new software. No software is bug free and will have issues. What IPS had issues with is the fact that they rushed updates out without testing as strongly as they should and it ran into issues later when they released updates that caused issues and had to turn around and release fixes.

IPB4 is perfectly usable for forums. I can link a few million post forums as well as my own 550k forum (When we switch back).
We've done Xenforo and IPB and despite IPB's glitches and bugs(which are quickly worked on, improved and fixed), I'd take it over xenforo any day :p

I just wanted to add the first part of this makes no sense because IPB Is not open sourced software like mybb, phpbb, smf :yum:

IPB4 did have a lot of bugs. But then again this is a rework and a completely new product, that's annoyingly expected for new software. No software is bug free and will have issues. What IPS had issues with is the fact that they rushed updates out without testing as strongly as they should and it ran into issues later when they released updates that caused issues and had to turn around and release fixes.

IPB4 is perfectly usable for forums. I can link a few million post forums as well as my own 550k forum (When we switch back).
We've done Xenforo and IPB and despite IPB's glitches and bugs(which are quickly worked on, improved and fixed), I'd take it over xenforo any day :yum:
I was talking about the MODs and plugins mainly. :p I think the term "useable" is subjective. Some people believe ForuMotion is useable; when I can assure you it isn't. I actually even know a guy who changed back to IPB3 because IPB4 wasn't what his community needed.

Well, they did have a major update that indeed fixed pretty much most of the bugs that was in the initial release. I would not say it's a failure, because it's not open source, you cannot simply assume they have all the bugs fixed; it's why it's called "Beta" - so that people know it's still in testing. IIRC they had a warning that said not to put it on a live site for a while as well.

The mods thing, though, happens to all of the softwares that make a major update. MyBB 1.8 didn't take off right away because most mods and themes would not work on the new software, though look at MyBB now. =P It's just something that comes with the territory.

I was talking about the MODs and plugins mainly. :yum: I think the term "useable" is subjective. Some people believe ForuMotion is useable; when I can assure you it isn't. I actually even know a guy who changed back to IPB3 because IPB4 wasn't what his community needed.
Forumotion is usable though. Perhaps not for your needs but usable implies it doesn't work at all. It's broken. Forumotion isn't broken and does work...just not for your needs.

Considering about 70 percent of IPS total users are on IPB4, I doubt that is much of a failure.

Having used every forum software out there. IP.Board is my number one choice. vBulletin 3 great, vB 4 is nice , and vB 5 can go die. IP.Board 3 was fantastic and when they came out with IPB4 I loved the clean and responsive look they went with. If I want a nice clean looking forum I go with IPB, if I want more customization I go with myBB. Only because i first started with myBB and I know it like the back of my hand.

IPB4 is great and not a failure. The new ACP is a big upgrade from IPB3. And the new version 4 features, such as Clubs, is a really useful feature for any community. Every software could obviously improve but I haven't experienced any bugs and I've used IPB4 since it was released.

IPB4 is great and not a failure. The new ACP is a big upgrade from IPB3. And the new version 4 features, such as Clubs, is a really useful feature for any community. Every software could obviously improve but I haven't experienced any bugs and I've used IPB4 since it was released.

Indeed I seen it used interestingly over at a existing community that a company operate. :)

Indeed I seen it used interestingly over at a existing community that a company operate. :smiley:
Yes, I'm really looking forward to see what kind of improvements the Club feature will get in version 4.3. Hopefully they will integrate it further with their official add-ons and make it easier to browse and find various groups.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 77.4%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds