Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

I'm off to buy a new toy! :D

Brendan1

Recognized member
Credits
So, ebay has paid off again! :D
2tb HP Storage Server (rack mountable nas) $96 AUD! ;D Sole purpose it to backup important data, Not so much music and movies.

Including rack rails and everything, Yes buying an external 2tb hdd would cost close to the same, use less power and use less space.

But an external HDD doesn't have the functionality I would like :)

The point of getting a rackmountable NAS (that actually runs an OS), rather than another USB HDD is

1) it can run offsite backups. (US based Backup Server - Encrypted and safe)
2) Fibre channel connection to NAS to allow this machine to also backup all Music/movies/important data that has no "critical" need to be hosted locally, across to the Offsite backup Server aswell.
3) Fill a bit more of the massive hole I have in my rack :D

Anywho, Thought I would share a random bit of info with you all.
Someone please talk by the time I get back :D I'm starting to feel lonely around here! haha.

Advertisement Placeholder
Haha, sorry sometimes I have hectic days!

Very Nice, so what exactly is the difference between a storage server and an external hard-drive???

Well, nothing really, except for functionality - Until you start getting into big Storage servers with raid and such, then they are a completely different party.

The point of this is soley to have redundant storage at home, for important things (all discs will be mirrored, to provide a small but effective 1tb redundant space) But the machine itself will provide ALOT more uses than simply being a backup server, If I didn't have a need for the Server, I would simply buy a few more HDD's and chuck a raid card in my desktop pc, or buy a few External drives and back everything up to all of them.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 77.4%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds