Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

IcyBoards

Credits
Hey guys!

Have you used IcyBoards before? If you have, feel free to let us know what type of experience you had with them. IcyBoards is a small MyBB free forum host, but it has become more and more popular lately. I'm sure at least a few people around here have used it before.

Thoughts?

Advertisement Placeholder
I've never used Icyboards. From what I've heard they do not offer as many plugins as other softwares however the plugins that they do offer are verified to decrease chances of vulnerability. I may consider just giving them a try one day but I haven't been inspired to make a new forum in a long while now. I am curious to hear what others think of it though so hopefully more people will chime in on this topic soon.

I've tried it before and it was decent, but I don't like how free forum hosts put ads on your forum (pretty much all of them do that, and I know they have to).

I'm currently using IcyBoards for a forum I haven't released yet and I think it's a great free forum host. However, I think it'd be even better if you were able to easily install plugins to the forum, rather than having to run it by admins of the IcyBoards forums first.

It's a really good software for beginners. MyBB is a very insecure software compared to most, which means that one of IcyBoard's selling points (security) is kinda BS. But it's still one of the better softwares for beginners. It's really easy to use.

Used it once just to test it out and some themes before I started PeakForums. It's good for people that don't have money for hosting but for serious sites its better to host it somewhere else

I never used this to host a forum for real people, just a little test forum but that's about it. As much freedom that they give you, they don't give you a ton to really do what you want with your forum.

I have used in the past they force ads on your forum also there isn't much plugins you add or request its a good free host if you are new to Mybb like a demo. Also their support isn't much active if I could rate it would be 6/10

Never heard of it, but I heard XenoForo and MyBB were among the popular ones for forum developing. MyBB I heard is free? So, I was curious what the difference between XenoForo and MyBB is since one costs money and the other doesn't

Never heard of it, but I heard XenoForo and MyBB were among the popular ones for forum developing. MyBB I heard is free? So, I was curious what the difference between XenoForo and MyBB is since one costs money and the other doesn't
Xenforo has more addons more features Mybb has good themes and few plugins

I have used them before and I felt they were a very good free forum host At the time when I used them, not sure about now, they didn't force any advertisements on your board except an admin login logo with their name on it, which I felt was very good compared to the bombardment of advertisements from other providers at the time. They were a fast host too and one that offered you (limited) FTP access so you could upload your own themes. They had a wealth of plugins preinstalled for you to choose from and there support, from what I remember, was prompt and informative.

So if you like the myBB software and need some good hosting, I do recommend that you take a look at these guys :)

I have used icyboards for a few months. It is a good platform to set up a free forum using a free hosting, within minutes. You could even use a premium URL for your forum.
If you hare having trouble, you could always seek help in the community forum. Beware that if your forums is inactive for years, then it would be taken down. So, make sure to login to the forum, at least once in a while, to ensure the running of the forum smoothly.
You could use themes and plugins too. Some plugins and premium themes are not available though. So, make sure to check your requirements and such, before going for icyboards.

I've visited IcyBoards, but not used it.

They were a fast host too and one that offered you (limited) FTP access so you could upload your own themes. They had a wealth of plugins preinstalled for you to choose from and there support, from what I remember, was prompt and informative.

Speed is certainly one advantage of these free forums, but the cost is ads.

So if you like the myBB software and need some good hosting, I do recommend that you take a look at these guys :smiley:

This is a good idea for less tech-ie people. However, I like to fool around with stuff.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 77.4%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds