Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

How many forums are too many?

Credits
Do you think there is a specific number of forums one person can own at a time? If so, how many forums in your opinion is just too many? I think having around 6 or 7 is a bit excessive. I personally couldn't keep up with that many sites at once! I currently have two forums myself, and one blog.

Advertisement Placeholder
In my own opinion, two or three forums are okay for a person to managed. When a single person have like 6 or 7 forums, how did the person intends to manage them? Having many forums does not translate to much money. A single forum with many traffics will generate money than 5 forums with few traffics all combine.

I feel it depends on each person as to how many they can manage at any one time. Many people will have help with forums with staff and may feel like they can have up to 10 running at the same time whereas others will feel overwhelmed with say two forums. I myself once tried to run 3 different forums and found it to be way too overwhelming. I eventually merged all 3 together and just ran the one forum and now, I co-own a forum which is the only one I run at the moment and that is more than enough for me. It all really depends on how much staff you have; how happy they are to help you and how much time you have for your forum and your life away from your forums.

I believe that owning any more than one forum is too many. Think of it like this. You want to learn how to play the piano, but also the guitar, so you take regular full-time lessons doing both. It will take you longer to become fluent or successful at playing one instrument if you're learning two. This can be said about running a forum too.

If you're online 24/7 to take care of all of the forums you have accumulated, I don't see anything wrong with having as many as you can.

Also, if you have the money to pay capable staff members and administrators to help you run the forums when you're not available, it's also a good plan.

If you are a person who doesn't have to go out for work daily, considering below calculation:

8 hrs of sleep, 3 hrs of cooking & eating, 2 hrs of bathing and freshing up accumulates to 13 hrs per day. Which means you have 24-13 = 11 Hrs to work on your forums.
To manage a forum efficiently, I feel 2 Hrs a day might be sufficient so 11 / 2 = 5.5.
So about 5 - 6 forums can be managed by a person who is staying home.

If you are a person who has an 8hrs shift at work, considering below calculations:

8 hrs of sleep, 8 hrs of work, 1.5 hrs of eating (no cooking as you'll mostly buy food and eat), 2 hrs of bathing and freshing up accumulates to 19.5 hrs per day. Which means you have 24-19.5 = 4.5 Hrs

So, max 2 Forums can be managed effectively by you.

I used to run two at the same time even though the second website did not stand the ground. I really focused on one at a time. Now I have the one but still have Domains and a database for others laying around. Aren't just the time on your hands, it's the COST of running more.

plus life and outside of sites I want to do other things

Most I had at once was 4 in about 2006, all were quite active for awhile too at the same time. Did have other staff helping but in the end it got too much and eventually 3 of them started to dwindle anyway. Facebook was starting to take over.

I tell clients all the time to avoid category-creep.

If you have a forum/category without any activity in it then you do not need it. Only create new sections when you have so much activity in the existing section that it warrants splitting off.

Also avoid overly verbose section names or descriptions.

Do you think there is a specific number of forums one person can own at a time? If so, how many forums in your opinion is just too many? I think having around 6 or 7 is a bit excessive. I personally couldn't keep up with that many sites at once! I currently have two forums myself, and one blog.

So about 5 - 6 forums can be managed by a person who is staying home.

I have more than that, including several big boards, and do just fine. Been doing this for 20 years.

I think if you have an established forum with a guide team of moderators, you could be quite hands off and would have time to work on other sites. If a forum is just fledgling, however, and it requires you to produce content, create engagement, and gather issues, then it would be difficult to manage more then one or two.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 23 82.1%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds