Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

How essential is a college education?

Advertisement Placeholder
Depends a lot what industry you want to go into. There are obviously industries that require certain qualifications to get into and there's not really any arguing with that.

But if you are content with going into an industry where you can and want to work your way up, it *is* possible. Whether you will achieve financial parity with your peers... remains to be seen. For context, I'm a web developer at a design agency in the UK these days, I am the technical lead (technically puts me in second place in the company), I don't have a degree in anything (I also didn't go and then drop out so I have no student debts).

My first career was in financial services - I fell into a low level job at Lehman Brothers for a few years until 2008, after that turned my hobby into a freelancing gig, before going back to work regular hours as a regular dev at a regular web agency. In that arena if you have either graphic design flair and/or can implement things, you can go far on merit and skill. But while I am decently paid now, it was a bit of a slog along the way.

It really depends on the career you wish to take as to whether or not college would be essential or not. Not all career paths require college meaning that it may not be essential to go to college if you have a career path planned and it is promising. However, I myself would be looking more into the long term rather than the short term and would much rather go to college and do a course on something I am interested in so that I had a backup plan in case my first career plans didn't go as I hoped.

So many think college is required....but there are a LOT of folks making really good money in the trades (plumber, electrician, lineman, railroad engineer, welders).

I went and got a degree.... Now I don't feel like anything I learned in college helped me in the career I went to school for. All people in my profession state that they don't really learn how to do it until they are in it. I wish the education we are having to pay for was a bit more focused, relatable even, but rather it's just more so about work ethic.

I do not think college is required to be successful. I think trade schools are fabulous though! I highly recommend them to my students with learning difficulties, or students who just don't enjoy school, because it is more hands on and allows them to train for what they really want to do without the extra stuff on top in my opinion.

That all being said, I am glad I went to college, because if I hadn't I think I would have always wondered "what if?" Sometimes I wonder if I went for a different profession/degree would it have worked out better, but we will never know. :r

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 75.0%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds