Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

How do you handle.....?

Credits
How do you handle disciplining people who don't follow the rules of the forum? Basically, what kind of punishment(s) do you have for people who don't follow the rules?

Mine usually depending on the severity of the infraction and/or how many times they continue to break the rules. If someone makes one spam post, I might just give them a verbal warning and then I'll move on provided they don't do it again. But if they continue to spam over and over again, then I might consider a suspension or a ban if they don't stop when asked. Or if someone sends some really hateful messages via PM, then I would more than likely ban that person and not let them come back.

Advertisement Placeholder
They'd probably get a warning, but that depends on what rule they break. If they simply do not post a template twice after being warned just by a member of staff the first time it will end up in an official warning. However if it is something like someone threatening the safety of another member's account or the forum it will result in a permanent ban from the forum. If it is also insulting and bullying another member they will also be permanently banned. However I do not currently run a forum anymore.

Well this is how I do it:
I first warn them and inform them what thtey did wrong, it might happen that they didnt do it on purpose.
The second time I inform them that the 3rd will be their last, if they still think they will get away with another rule break, well the ban hammer comes in to the game :)

Well it totally depends on the rule breaking situation. Small things would be dealt with a warning through a PM and maybe some warning points while something bigger (spam etc) would result in a ban

I try to use good sense of humor to tackle member's bad behavior because punishments usually generate hard feelings and a good, active member may stop participating after an infraction that might be issued by mistake of by forum automation.

So that, and in example, I don't like that nasty words are used in posts. Therefore, I have a word filter that replaces the bad word for something funny that sounds alike.

This way the user that misuse bad words laughs of his or her own post rather than blame me for putting in there "censored" or asterisks.

Similarly, I try to issue sort of warnings but always trying to prevent a member can feel uncomfortable, angry or thinking that we are an unfriendly community.

I'd say it all depends on the member and what sort of contribution they make to the site overall. I've seen some members who are very helpful and prolific posters with excellent knowledge, suddenly go off and post something totally inappropriate. In this case, the best thing is probably just to edit or remove the post and issue an informal warning without annoying them.

Some people don't do anything blatantly wrong but just join forums to start arguments and generally troll. If they don't contribute anything useful and just annoy anyone else, they should be banned. It has to be what's best for the majority, and sometimes NOT banning certain people can be more annoying and drive regulars away than banning them.

It depends, i'm usually pretty lenient but if it seems like they want to deliberately do it again and again I might just have to suspend them or whatever

Like many, it depends on the severity of the offence. For example, if all they did was double-post or posts a spam post, then a friendly, good-humored PM is the way I would deal with it. However, if it was a more serious offence such as bullying, I would immediately IP ban the member, and possibly inform their ISP (depending on how severe it actually was).

I like to give people many chances to be 'good', but in some cases something has to be done.

To be frank I don't like having too many rules or being strict. That's the reason why WGBB has very few rules. But there are always some people who misbehave and try to break all the damn rules even in a forum like this. Fortunately we have never came across such a person(other than the obvious spammers) yet. Anyway should the situation comes, we will ban him/her I guess!

How do you handle disciplining people who don't follow the
Anyway should the situation comes, we will ban him/her I guess!
Well now, that's no fun :p

Okay well first, we got to make sure we have a few things. A stick that's about the size in thickness as your thumb. Some pliers, duct tape, some rope, and some barb wire. Might also want to get a chain saw. But that's just for looks, don't actually use it.

:devilish: I'll let your imagination decide what we do with these things to those who don't follow rules :O

Okay well first, we got to make sure we have a few things. A stick that's about the size in thickness as your thumb. Some pliers, duct tape, some rope, and some barb wire. Might also want to get a chain saw. But that's just for looks, don't actually use it.

:devilish: I'll let your imagination decide what we do with these things to those who don't follow rules :O

Well then, I certainly won't be breaking any rules here... :O

Now you're preparing a heaven for all the masochists! :p
DON'T DO IT!

@xpl0iter just linked me to this and I have to be honest, I'm now scared of you Jordan. I'll be good now :(

For me it depends on what kind of rule they are breaking, and sometimes who they are on the forum, for example new member not really sure of the rules on the forum, I would just give them some advice from a pm. Normally from all minor stuff a Pm would be sent saying don't do this again, then I would start o give out official warnings and if they got a number of them a temp ban would be put in place.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds