Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Content Creation How do you handle writer’s block?

A prefix for threads focusing on the creation of content for websites and forums.

Kennysplash

Service Team
Service Team
You are just stuck. Sometimes you just don’t know what to create, but most times you have the idea already, but you just cannot move the content forward. This can go on for days.

What helps me is to make a skeletal plan ahead, like an outline. This helps me put together my ideas faster.
Then when the block visits I don’t deny it, and I don’t push myself to go through unnecessarily. I give it some time and engage in other activities.

How do you handle writer’s block?

Just means the thing you’re trying to work on isn’t ready yet. Needs more time in the oven.

Go do something else productive in the meantime.

I just end up doing something else if I get writers block and then come back to writing posts. Sometimes if I just go and play a video game I can get random things to pop up in my head and then I can come up with things to write about.

Handling writer's block is frustrating to go through but it is also something that happens to most of us who work within writing.

I always find going out for a walk or taking time away from my laptop and writing helps to bring in new ideas so I can get back to writing :)

I love writing.

I write so much (daily) that I have made writing a habit. On days I don't write, I fiend for it as if it was a drug. No joke. LOL.

But I'm human, and I occasionally get writer's block like everyone else.

I try to mitigate negative outcomes by having rainy-day content already created and in limbo for the occasion that I do get writer's block. This helps me to remain consistent and not fall behind.

As for combatting the block, I resort to my favorite outdoor recreation activities:
  • Hiking
  • Cycling
  • Kayaking
  • Spelunking
  • Camping
After I do one of the above (or multiple activities), it clears my stress and blocks. It's great to disconnect and do something in an area that humans didn't create.

That's always been my method.

I just wait until I'm inspired again. Sadly, my bipolar meds tend to zap me, but I still get the urge to write!

What about coders block; where coders run out of ideas to create new codes? I have this problem a lot of times, it seems you can only manipulate a forum software so much before you run out of ideas.

As for writer's block, I have this consistently when trying to think of new topics to create where I feel like I can't think of any type of discussion that has been beaten to death on various message boards. But since I have a resource board, that's why I mentioned coder's block instead of going straight to writer's block, due to resources being more important on my board than general discussions.

it seems you can only manipulate a forum software so much before you run out of ideas.
This is the curse of a hosted platform, you have so many limitations that I don't.

This is the curse of a hosted platform, you have so many limitations that I don't.
Not going to argue with you there, because it's true, but being more into the frontend side of things than the backend, I've never really felt the need to operate on the backend because JavaScript has always been my go-to language, and it took me long enough to learn it alone that I doubt I could learn backend languages anytime quickly.

Let me give you the counterpoint; I've been working on a new feature today - multiple avatars.

As in, I have what amounts to the subaccounts feature (except done properly), and I want to allow 5 avatars per character, such that they can be uploaded or external links, and that you can either say 'for this subaccount, rotate through the avatars randomly' or 'let me pick which avatar I want to use for which post'.

It's not a simple change, but I should be done with it today.

I'm genuinely impressed how you make half of what you make work using the resources Jcink lets you have, but you definitely have the ability to go beyond - consider that Node.js is JavaScript as a server language, and that all of the principles you've learned apply equally over there.

Let me give you the counterpoint; I've been working on a new feature today - multiple avatars.

As in, I have what amounts to the subaccounts feature (except done properly), and I want to allow 5 avatars per character, such that they can be uploaded or external links, and that you can either say 'for this subaccount, rotate through the avatars randomly' or 'let me pick which avatar I want to use for which post'.

It's not a simple change, but I should be done with it today.

I'm genuinely impressed how you make half of what you make work using the resources Jcink lets you have, but you definitely have the ability to go beyond - consider that Node.js is JavaScript as a server language, and that all of the principles you've learned apply equally over there.
I made a random avatar code for Jcink once, it uses a custom profile field to store the avatar data and stores the avatars in an array and iterates over the array to decide which avatar to "randomly" choose.

That's one example of how I can produce so many codes for Jcink, I use many storing methods that would normally have to be done with something like MySQL on the backend. I use custom profile fields, topics/posts with AJAX, localStorage, storing data inside of a post to be hidden from the post but shown elsewhere in the topic, etc. The AJAX method of essentially using a forum/topic as a database was taught to me by a friend on Zathyus Networks when I told him I wanted to build a feedback system for ZetaBoards, and he showed me how it was possible to do so using AJAX to store and fetch data.

I tried my hand at Node.js before using a Udemy course, but it looks like it uses a lot of JavaScript I'm unfamiliar with, probably ES6 and beyond. I just sometimes don't have the motivation/patience to learn all of the new stuff.

Sounds familiar does it not @Cory ?
I'm guessing you encouraging me to become more than a frontend coder? :unsure:

Oh jeez, what have I done? I turned this into a topic about coding. :LOL:

it uses a custom profile field to store the avatar data and stores the avatars in an array and iterates over the array to decide which avatar to "randomly" choose
Now imagine what you could do if you could actually let users upload that and not have to rely on custom fields...

Oh jeez, what have I done? I turned this into a topic about coding.
There's really no difference. The underlying topic is 'road blocks to being creative' and the answer is the same: come at it from a new direction. Learn new things that give you more tools in the toolbox - and it unlocks more potential to not have road blocks.

You're already a coder, were just pushing ya to learn some new'ish stuffz :p
Yeah, y'all are great for doing so, I'm just too lazy/impatient/unmotivated/undedicated to try my hand at learning new things sometimes. I've always been the type of person who finds it VERY hard to get out of his comfort zone and try new things.

Now imagine what you could do if you could actually let users upload that and not have to rely on custom fields...

There's really no difference. The underlying topic is 'road blocks to being creative' and the answer is the same: come at it from a new direction. Learn new things that give you more tools in the toolbox - and it unlocks more potential to not have road blocks.
Yeah, that would be quite spectacular!

Good point, I suppose writer's block can also be any other type of roadblock you run into as a webmaster.

I sometimes listen to this.

Usually reminds me to get on with things!

What about coders block; where coders run out of ideas to create new codes? I have this problem a lot of times, it seems you can only manipulate a forum software so much before you run out of ideas.
I'm always tinkering with my sites. Not just code, but like template modifications. Small change here, small change there, etc. Not so much though with my new site since then it's hard o upgrade. :ROFLMAO: (happened before with Xenforo)

For me, it's music. Music has a way of inspiring me like pretty much nothing else. If I'm bored with the same old stuff, I go looking for new music and there's usually something out there for me to get obsessed with. Since a lot of my plots and characters come directly from songs I'm into, that's how I usually break my writer's block.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 20 80.0%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds