Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

How do you deal with spam?

Ronan

Credits
So, if you're blog is getting a lot of traffic, how do you block the spam? For example, on my blog, I keep having to delete obvious spam comments and messages.

Advertisement Placeholder
I use an anti-spam plug in with Wordpress myself. It blocks on average 9 spam posts a day so it is well worth it.

I use an anti-spam plug in with Wordpress myself. It blocks on average 9 spam posts a day so it is well worth it.

I remember when I worked for a nonprofit. This was a while ago. Anyway, we had trouble finding a good wordpress plug-in to block spam so we had to manually delete all the spam messages/comments. What a pain that was!

Which ones would you recommend?
Akismet or WP-SpamShield Anti-Spam
Akismet is the typical go to one and a lot of auto installers pack it in with it by default.

The other just works very well I've used it on some client sites and hey haven't complained and it works well!

Akismet or WP-SpamShield Anti-Spam
Akismet is the typical go to one and a lot of auto installers pack it in with it by default.

The other just works very well I've used it on some client sites and hey haven't complained and it works well!

Oohhh yessss.. I'm totally nerding out.

Question: do the anti-spam plugins catch all spam? What if a regular user starts spamming? Does the plug-in auto-ban?

I remember when I worked for a nonprofit. This was a while ago. Anyway, we had trouble finding a good wordpress plug-in to block spam so we had to manually delete all the spam messages/comments. What a pain that was!

I use WP SpamShield, it gets the job done quite well. It doesn't delete real ones either.

I agree that a plug-in is the best bet. Because while you can disable the comments on your blog, do you really want to do that? It seems like it would stink because you can't interact with the people who come to your blog.

It really depends on what site I'm dealing with. Some I have disabled comments, while others I use Akismet. So far that has been able to hold off a majority of the spam. I still have to monitor some sites but not as much.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 22 81.5%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds