Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

How detailed should subforum descriptions be?

Beverly

Renowned member
Credits
Most forums have some type of description for each subsection and subforum. The description usually follows the subforum name and ranges from 10-20 words depending on the software used.

But, really what purpose does the forum description serve? These tiny descriptions often leave much to be desired with their less than comprehensive nature. You could always create a forum sticky post that details more thoroughly what that specific subforum is about.

Still, the forum description is a staple on most forums and maybe something which is expected by forum members. That could be a valid reason for including it.

What are your best ideas for creating an enticing forum description to entice members into posting?

Advertisement Placeholder
Forum descriptions are meant to be used to describe the forum with 1-2 short sentences for user to get the general idea what goes in that specific section. However, many forum owners fail at explaining it well enough, specially if they're running an English speaking forum and they're not from an English speaking country themselves.

Since forum descriptions are meant to describe the section, I don't think that creativity within them matters much, because reading it doesn't make user post in the forum any more or less. I'd suggest everyone to stick with the basics (simple, straight to the point description), because it's the most effective way of explaining what that specific section is meant for.

I always find that there is enough room to be honest to be able to give a fairly detailed description on what the subforum is there for and what it should be used for. I tend to keep my descriptions short and to the point to allow members to see what the forum is there for but most of the time my forum titles pretty much tell them as well.

Subforum descriptions have to be very concise and short. You don't have the luxury of time and space with it so you should be able to construct 2-3 sentences that are able to explain what the subforum is all about. It's better to make sure that the most important details are in this description. The details that you wouldn't want anyone to miss out on. The details that are essential and the acceptable things to post on that subforum.

As far as creating enticing descriptions, it's not that necessary. Most of the time, a member would read the description regardless of how entertaining it is or not. You could make the sticky of subforum rules as entertaining and as long as you want. But with the subforum description, you cannot do that. So just stick to a formal tone, make it direct to the point and easy to understand as well.

Good luck!

Minimally, minimally. It's always so terrible to see an entire paragraph written under subforum descriptions, and that's the extreme, so keeping it short and sweet is ideal

I'd say two lines at most, if you're particularly detailed and loquacious (or if you want to write a funny description). People just want to get what the subforum is about, so keep it short; a single simple but effective line would be ideal.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds