Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

How can websites adapt to the dominance of mobile browsing?

Credits
Adapting websites to the dominance of mobile browsing is crucial in today's digital landscape. With more users accessing the web from mobile devices, creating a seamless and user-friendly mobile experience has become a priority for webmasters.
Let's discuss what we as webmasters can do to make the most out of it.

Advertisement Placeholder
I think make sure to stay up to date with mobile browsing. For the most part I think most sites have it covered, where they revert to a mobile version of the site, that's adaptive and moves with you. Like any web browser, it just needs you get you on the web, and make those web pages work on said device.

You'll know when a site isn't mobile supported. Some sites are even custom built for mobile.

When I went to college for web design, we talked about "mobile first" web design. Essentially, that means designing your mobile site first (based on what mobile users want or need) and then using that to "expand" to desktop size.

Without getting too far into the coding weeds, websites are built with multiple viewports to accommodate multiple screen sizes. Most web design platforms do this automatically - any sort of stable Wordpress theme supports mobile browsing by default. But the principle of "mobile first" likely still works even if you aren't making photoshop compositions for different screen sizes and programming CSS. Think about what your mobile users want or need, and put that in first.

For example, for a restaurant, a mobile user probably wants your location (so they can drive there), your phone number, ability to pay using Apple Pay, and your menu. That needs to be the most prominent features of your site, not philosophizing about your cooking style and the history of the famous chef you hired.

Likewise, a store site should include the location of its items in-store inside the store closest to the user. That's what mobile users want and need.

The idea is, quite simply, function over information. The old Internet was primarily an informal information repository where the point was to read information and hang out. That's what desktop users still kind of want today - to spend hours reading their way through sites and learning stuff. Or watching their way, in the case of YouTube and Netflix. Mobile users, on the other hand, want to do things with the power of information. So focus more on function and less on making your About page sound cooler than your competitors, and you'll be ahead.

When I went to college for web design, we talked about "mobile first" web design. Essentially, that means designing your mobile site first (based on what mobile users want or need) and then using that to "expand" to desktop size.

Without getting too far into the coding weeds, websites are built with multiple viewports to accommodate multiple screen sizes. Most web design platforms do this automatically - any sort of stable Wordpress theme supports mobile browsing by default. But the principle of "mobile first" likely still works even if you aren't making photoshop compositions for different screen sizes and programming CSS. Think about what your mobile users want or need, and put that in first.

For example, for a restaurant, a mobile user probably wants your location (so they can drive there), your phone number, ability to pay using Apple Pay, and your menu. That needs to be the most prominent features of your site, not philosophizing about your cooking style and the history of the famous chef you hired.

Likewise, a store site should include the location of its items in-store inside the store closest to the user. That's what mobile users want and need.

The idea is, quite simply, function over information. The old Internet was primarily an informal information repository where the point was to read information and hang out. That's what desktop users still kind of want today - to spend hours reading their way through sites and learning stuff. Or watching their way, in the case of YouTube and Netflix. Mobile users, on the other hand, want to do things with the power of information. So focus more on function and less on making your About page sound cooler than your competitors, and you'll be ahead.
True. Along with the mobile-first approach, a fast loading speed (with compressed imaged), good readable typography and simplified navigation would be a great addition. The sites must be tested continuously and must keep evolving as per the feedback received.

The solution to this issue is to use responsive templates and themes on your website. By using responsive themes, your website will easily adapt to the screen size of the visitors. I am not a fan of creating an app for a website unless your website is an ecommerce site. However, adding responsiveness certainly helps.

Jcink thankfully has a mobile mode that is the default view for accessing a Jcink board from a mobile device. If it weren't for that, I'd have to make my theme and layout as responsive as possible to cater to mobile users. I'd probably use JavaScript to manipulate certain features to be friendly on mobile devices.

When it comes to running a forum, every webmaster must make sure that their website is designed to be mobile friendly otherwise, the website will be losing more than half of its supposed visitors. A lot of people prefer using the smartphone more often than they use laptops and PC. You cannot afford not using responsive themes and templates on your websites design.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds