Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Hogwarts Legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
You stand by your view that as long as a game is fun, it doesn't matter who gets hurt in the making and aftermath of a game. I assume by that logic you also regularly play games from Activision Blizzard and/or Ubisoft because as long as it's fun for you, the consequences aren't your problem.

I doubt it'll make any difference but here's a video from someone who is in the non-binary/trans category trying to explain what the problem is:

Advertisement Placeholder
You stand by your view that as long as a game is fun, it doesn't matter who gets hurt in the making and aftermath of a game. I assume by that logic you also regularly play games from Activision Blizzard and/or Ubisoft because as long as it's fun for you, the consequences aren't your problem.

I doubt it'll make any difference but here's a video from someone who is in the non-binary/trans category trying to explain what the problem is:

I'm not going to watch that and I am one of those people. I don't care what happens to people because of a game because I enjoy the game for what it is. It's one of the great things about freedom of speech - I can do that.

The only game I ever boycotted and quit playing was The Island because one of the staff was discovered to be a child predator. You can stop trying to persuade me to hate the game, it's not going to happen. If that's the only thing you're going to contribute to this thread, please stop replying.

This thread is about the discussion of the game, that's it.

This thread is about the discussion of the game, that's it.
I'm going to have to agree with this sentiment. This thread was originally intended to be a discussion about the game overall. I think if we want to talk about the creator behind all of this and their viewpoints about life, then another thread can be created to do so. Though, either way, I think people are going to turn this subject into a debate and those often never end well.

Finished the main story today! I have over 32+ hours in the game already and still plan to spend probably another 10 or so to complete all of the side quests.

What are you talking about? There's literally a transgender character in the game. I should know, I talked to them like five times. And telling people not to buy a game because of something someone who has no association with the game - other than creating the Potterverse, is wrong on so many levels. Those developers worked hard on this game and they deserve to get praise for creating something so passionate and amazing.

I don't consider someone's personal feelings or beliefs when consuming.
First of all, the trans character in the game is somewhat of a slap in the face. Her name has already been turned into shorthand across the internet when talking about her so thanks to their poor choice in names we have a trans woman named Sir Ryan. Wonderful understanding of trans people there. Also just because there is a trans character in the game does not mean it suddenly speaks for trans people or the trans experience or excuses the damage done by the author.

Second, as much as you may not want to understand this, HER views are supported by her profiting off of this game. Purchasing the game directly benefits someone who knowingly uses her platform to spread hate speech and deliberate misinformation about a people she doesn't know or understand. "Just a game" or not, the underlying fact is that a bigot directly profits from it. I understand you like the game, and go right ahead and continue enjoying it, that's your right, but try to understand that what you're doing is to line the pockets of a bigot doing real damage to real people. Plumping up her funds, giving her more sway to spread more hatred and misinformation is dangerous and yes, it damages trans people in the long run. I know that doesn't impact you directly, but sorry hon, there are people out there who aren't you and it hurts us.

I'm sorry to the devs, I know they made a wonderful game, but they are enabling her, and by extension harming a marginalized community. If she renounced the rights to anything Potterverse related, fine, have at it! But she won't do that, it lines her pockets far too well as she sits in her estate attacking people who have no real recourse, who are put at risk daily just for being trans, and who are globally misunderstood by people who don't want or don't care enough to educate themselves about what trans actually is. If they wanted to do the right thing, they could have made this game, taken out the Potterverse elements, changed the castle features and layout and it would still have been the same amazing game it is today. Sadly, that's not what happened, they took the route of keeping the Potterverse elements, supporting an IP that benefits a bigot, and for that I will continue to abstain from it and hope others will, as well. Will they? Of course not, it's a fantastic game and they have the right to enjoy it, but I hope one day they will consider the consequences of that choice. That's the sole point my initial post was about.

I'm not going to watch that and I am one of those people. I don't care what happens to people because of a game because I enjoy the game for what it is. It's one of the great things about freedom of speech - I can do that.
Yes, you can. You can blindly support something and ignore the harm it causes in doing so. That is absolutely your right.
The only game I ever boycotted and quit playing was The Island because one of the staff was discovered to be a child predator. You can stop trying to persuade me to hate the game, it's not going to happen. If that's the only thing you're going to contribute to this thread, please stop replying.
No one is trying to persuade you to hate the game, you have every right to enjoy it.

I do find the coincidence delightful that you won't support a game because of the involvement of a child predator and yet the royalties are going to someone who falsely and continually levies those same accusations against the trans community. Ah well, I suppose the beauty of one's own morals is that they're free to twist them to suit their needs.

I'm going to have to agree with this sentiment. This thread was originally intended to be a discussion about the game overall. I think if we want to talk about the creator behind all of this and their viewpoints about life, then another thread can be created to do so. Though, either way, I think people are going to turn this subject into a debate and those often never end well.
Sorry, Cory, you're more than welcome to take punitive action against me if you wish, I had to say my piece.

Second, as much as you may not want to understand this, HER views are supported by her profiting off of this game. Purchasing the game directly benefits someone who knowingly uses her platform to spread hate speech and deliberate misinformation about a people she doesn't know or understand. "Just a game" or not, the underlying fact is that a bigot directly profits from it. I understand you like the game, and go right ahead and continue enjoying it, that's your right, but try to understand that what you're doing is to line the pockets of a bigot doing real damage to real people. Plumping up her funds, giving her more sway to spread more hatred and misinformation is dangerous and yes, it damages trans people in the long run. I know that doesn't impact you directly, but sorry hon, there are people out there who aren't you and it hurts us.

I'm sorry to the devs, I know they made a wonderful game, but they are enabling her, and by extension harming a marginalized community. If she renounced the rights to anything Potterverse related, fine, have at it! But she won't do that, it lines her pockets far too well as she sits in her estate attacking people who have no real recourse, who are put at risk daily just for being trans, and who are globally misunderstood by people who don't want or don't care enough to educate themselves about what trans actually is. If they wanted to do the right thing, they could have made this game, taken out the Potterverse elements, changed the castle features and layout and it would still have been the same amazing game it is today. Sadly, that's not what happened, they took the route of keeping the Potterverse elements, supporting an IP that benefits a bigot, and for that I will continue to abstain from it and hope others will, as well. Will they? Of course not, it's a fantastic game and they have the right to enjoy it, but I hope one day they will consider the consequences of that choice. That's the sole point my initial post was about.
You're also welcome to your thoughts. I don't personally care what people do or actions they take in their daily lives if they're adults. You're over the legal age, how you choose to shape, modify, change or alter your body is your choice. I do not have to agree with your choices, do not have to respect them but they are still yours. It is your body.

However, hating an entire series for the sole fact that an author is entitled to her opinion is wrong on so many levels. You should either respect her work or not. If you're not happy with something justified, then boycott the game individually. Don't buy Harry Potter merchandise or paraphernalia.

Changing the castle and everything that makes the game earn the title Harry Potter would thus make the game not Harry Potter and would not have been as well received as it is. I would not have bought a game claiming to be Hogwarts Legacy to find myself playing in some twisted version of the world J.K. Rowling created and I fell in love with as a growing adolescent.

Ah well, I suppose the beauty of one's own morals is that they're free to twist them to suit their needs.
Woah now, there is a HUGE difference between child endangerment/sexual predation and gender dysphoria. You cannot correlate the two, no matter what viewpoint you feel I should have. Children should be left alone to develop and grow until they are legal adults and can make decisions for themselves. And I'm not twisting anything. I believe what I believe and I have my own moral crusades I choose to support.

Now, can we get back to the discussion of the game or will it need to be archived and a new one made @Cory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds