Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

HGV Driver shortage - UK Fuel Shortage

D

Deleted member 403

At the present, there is indeed a lot of talk regarding driver shortages. I'd want to offer some additional context. Several decades previously, transport businesses hired and educated apprentices, funding for their HGV certification and permits. Other trucking businesses saw an opportunity to save money by paying skilled drivers greater wages, which made financial sense because it was less expensive to do so than to sponsor driver education. Businesses coaching and subsidizing HGV licenses rapidly discovered that were losing money, and the notion of corporations teaching and financing HGV licenses faded away.

Drivers were only hired if they held proper permits at the time. Current motorists were quickly forced to abandon the field due to the increasing price of maintaining their certificates. Concerned with the high cost of obtaining an identification card, prospective operators tried to get a job afield.

When consumers demanded lower and lower agreements, transportation companies stopped hiring' truckers and solely used self employed' personnel, looking offshore for cheaper self employed' drivers.

Motorists were lured to operate via umbrella businesses since the documentation necessary in self-employment was too much for them.

Who was it that took advantage of them?

(Observation: Two year ago, I witnessed an administrative hearing where two HGV drivers was spent an average of £9.15 per 60 minutes and then were refused vacation time.) The employees' application for remuneration was denied.

HGV workers are in short supply, according to the sector.

The govt's immediate answer was to enable a modification of the motorist's hours of service restrictions, allowing them to work an extra period every day.

Can someone explain why here might be a lack of HGV driving and how to address the problem (whenever one exists)?

Advertisement Placeholder
Well, the situation of my country is pretty different from the UK. In my country, the petrol prices have increased and this has led to an increased transportation expense for the public. Whenever the price of petrol increases, the price of all other goods also increase due to an increased transportation costs. I donot think that this has any effect on the employment when it comes to job market of drivers in my country.

From your write up the drivers really feel they need to be basically taken care of. The one thing I'm sure of is if the government succumbs to their renumeration demands and still have an opening for extra work period, majority would ditch the extra work.
So government should come up with basic packages that would make drivers feel taken care of - something like converting to insurance, the extra renumeration they demand for

As far as I know, the United Kingdom is a much developed country with much powerful economy. It falls under the category of Tier 1 countries and I think that U.K. will soon overcome such kind of issues.

Well, the situation of my country is pretty different from the UK. In my country, the petrol prices have increased and this has led to an increased transportation expense for the public. Whenever the price of petrol increases, the price of all other goods also increase due to an increased transportation costs. I donot think that this has any effect on the employment when it comes to job market of drivers in my country.
What county are you from again? This is also the case when it comes to the price of fuel as well. Once the price goes up they would start carrying double the amount they used to before.

What county are you from again? This is also the case when it comes to the price of fuel as well. Once the price goes up they would start carrying double the amount they used to before.

I am from Pakistan and in here the inflation is burning economy each and every week. We have never seen such kind of inflation before and prices are rising at an unexpected rate. Yes, people now definitely carry more money with them now.

I am from Pakistan and in here the inflation is burning economy each and every week. We have never seen such kind of inflation before and prices are rising at an unexpected rate. Yes, people now definitely carry more money with them now.
Wow that's serious, sorry about that though, so how have you been coping so far with the constant increase of prices and all that?

Wow that's serious, sorry about that though, so how have you been coping so far with the constant increase of prices and all that?

Well, I have decreased my petrol consumption a lot. I no longer travel at longer distances using my motorcycle, since I do not have a day job at all. This is the only best way to manage the increase in petrol prices.

Well, I have decreased my petrol consumption a lot. I no longer travel at longer distances using my motorcycle, since I do not have a day job at all. This is the only best way to manage the increase in petrol prices.
Wow, what about in terms of power consumption, let's say electricity, am guessing it also affected the cost of electricity as well if am not mistaken. How do you cope with that.

Wow, what about in terms of power consumption, let's say electricity, am guessing it also affected the cost of electricity as well if am not mistaken. How do you cope with that.

Many people in my country deal with this problem by using electrical appliances only when they need to use. As far as I am concerned, I do not need to pay the electricity bills because my family does that for me.

Many people in my country deal with this problem by using electrical appliances only when they need to use. As far as I am concerned, I do not need to pay the electricity bills because my family does that for me.
Its well, like in my country, there is hardly steady power supply, there are times where we might not see light for days yet they still bring outrageous bills.

Well I think that these companies need to find a common ground between them and the drivers as well bring the government into this, because based on your writeup, they are losing money trying to subsidise and help the drivers, when do not the drivers have to work and maintain these costly licenses. They should be able to come up with a viable solution for all.

The whole world is actually passing through almost the same thing when it comes to fuel shortage and increase in prices of fuel which is why things are being very hard as we speak.

As far as I know, the United Kingdom is a much developed country with much powerful economy. It falls under the category of Tier 1 countries and I think that U.K. will soon overcome such kind of issues.
They will definitely find a way to get more fuel made available for their citizens which is something that I know that they are capable of doing and it's only going to be a matter of time for them to have it sorted out.

my country is pretty different from the UK. In my country, the petrol prices have increased and this has led to an increased transportation expense for the public. Whenever the price of petrol increases, the price of all other goods also increase due to an increased transportation costs.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds