Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Google sides with Apple

Advertisement Placeholder
I don't understand why Apple is being so difficult. They have a court order. Just unlock the damn phone. :yum:

It is a whole lot more complicated than that, mainly because they can't.

In order for them to unlock said phone, they would have to create a software that could potentially unlock every single iPhone the government wants. Apple would literally be creating a master key to every iPhone on this planet and giving it to the one government people don't trust anyway. Hackers could get this software and then everyone's iPhones would be hacked. This isn't just iPhone either, once the government gets Apple to do this there is nothing stopping them from them doing this to other tech companies - the U.S already has nukes, they don't need a technological one that could not only affect the U.S, but other major countries as well.

It is a whole lot more complicated than that, mainly because they can't.

In order for them to unlock said phone, they would have to create a software that could potentially unlock every single iPhone the government wants. Apple would literally be creating a master key to every iPhone on this planet and giving it to the one government people don't trust anyway. Hackers could get this software and then everyone's iPhones would be hacked. This isn't just iPhone either, once the government gets Apple to do this there is nothing stopping them from them doing this to other tech companies - the U.S already has nukes, they don't need a technological one that could not only affect the U.S, but other major countries as well.
That's untrue. They've done it before: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/apple-unlocked-70-iphones-refusal-article-1.2536178 Really what they're doing is a marketing stunt. If you think they built a software that they don't know how to unlock, you're lying to yourself. The know exactly how to unlock it. It just gets them more publicity by doing something like this, though.

I mean yes, it is Apple - they would definitely leverage something like this to benefit their image.

This is an issue where I'm kind of torn.

Now, as a Canadian I'm more of an outsider looking in, but I think its great that someone, especially major corporations like Apple and Google, are finally taking a stand. We live in a day and age where its common to have companies and governments alike try to know everything about you; what you do, where you are and why you're there. I know for sure I don't want the governments watching every thing I do on my devices. Not that I have anything to hide, but at the same time I don't want to feel like I cant do/lookup/search/inquiry something because "big brother is watching".

On the other hand I totally understand why the FBI wants this information - its easier to find, predict and prevent terrorist attacks. But I fear it will be at the cost of George Orwell's 1984 being something we see in our lifetime.

I mean yes, it is Apple - they would definitely leverage something like this to benefit their image.

This is an issue where I'm kind of torn.

Now, as a Canadian I'm more of an outsider looking in, but I think its great that someone, especially major corporations like Apple and Google, are finally taking a stand. We live in a day and age where its common to have companies and governments alike try to know everything about you; what you do, where you are and why you're there. I know for sure I don't want the governments watching every thing I do on my devices. Not that I have anything to hide, but at the same time I don't want to feel like I cant do/lookup/search/inquiry something because "big brother is watching".

On the other hand I totally understand why the FBI wants this information - its easier to find, predict and prevent terrorist attacks. But I fear it will be at the cost of George Orwell's 1984 being something we see in our lifetime.
I agree with that. The issue I see is that it's not just some random person, it's a proven terrorist who killed America citizens. I think if you get a court order on someone who is a terrorist, the government should have all rights to hack the person's phone.

That's untrue. They've done it before: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/apple-unlocked-70-iphones-refusal-article-1.2536178 Really what they're doing is a marketing stunt. If you think they built a software that they don't know how to unlock, you're lying to yourself. The know exactly how to unlock it. It just gets them more publicity by doing something like this, though.

You have to look at the phones they unlocked; they didn't use the OS that the current phones are on. They can unlock a iPhone4, they cannot however unlock anything above that as encryption keys are no longer kept on servers, just the phone.

You have to look at the phones they unlocked; they didn't use the OS that the current phones are on. They can unlock a iPhone4, they cannot however unlock anything above that as encryption keys are no longer kept on servers, just the phone.
If you think Apple really doesn't have the keys to their encryption, you're lying to yourself. :yum: They know exactly how to open this up. Things such as Apple's Cloud Service could be very beneficial. In addition, the DoJ doesn't really need Apple. Really the easiest way to do this is: If you have good enough hardware, it's possible to hack it with a USB, which then will allow you to put 1 one password per 80 milliseconds: proof. Or, if all else fails, they could do this. It probably isn't the smartest idea, but it's possible. Apple knows exactly how to get around all this. They're just going for a market stunt. Who makes a software that's impossible to hack?

It
If you think Apple really doesn't have the keys to their encryption, you're lying to yourself. :yum: They know exactly how to open this up. Things such as Apple's Cloud Service could be very beneficial. In addition, the DoJ doesn't really need Apple. Really the easiest way to do this is: If you have good enough hardware, it's possible to hack it with a USB, which then will allow you to put 1 one password per 80 milliseconds: proof. Or, if all else fails, they could do this. It probably isn't the smartest idea, but it's possible. Apple knows exactly how to get around all this. They're just going for a market stunt. Who makes a software that's impossible to hack?

A brute force attack like your suggesting is impossible and would delete the data from the iPhone. To many wrong guesses and its gone.

And Apple already told the FBi about the Cloud Service possibility but they were stupid and reset the password.

They're also not saying it's impossible, they're simply saying it's too dangerous to create. IE, my first post.

Google is a company and same with Apple. As companies, they are only interested in profits and don't care about people. Companies don't behave like people. Companies don't have morals. Don't expect them to act on our behalf.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds