Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Getting Your Forum to Become a Hangout

For topics related to engaging users and creating community interaction.

Jason

Legendary member
Bronze Member
Website
drummerlesson.com
My drumming forum just isn't a hangout. It gets people via post exchanges etc.. but it just doesn't have the neighborhood bar feel of Admin-Junkies, so what is the problem?

My drumming forum just isn't a hangout. It gets people via post exchanges etc.. but it just doesn't have the neighborhood bar feel of Admin-Junkies, so what is the problem?
Your audience.

But it's up to you to change that. Disregard the people from post exchanges, they're not there for your community vibe anyway. What's left?

Your audience.

But it's up to you to change that. Disregard the people from post exchanges, they're not there for your community vibe anyway. What's left?
Well, the goal is to get drummers and musicians there. That will probably take advertising I think. Unfortunately, promotion forums are not full of those people.

Well, the goal is to get drummers and musicians there. That will probably take advertising I think. Unfortunately, promotion forums are not full of those people.
Unfortunately no. Most of the people I've noticed here and on the forums I'm on are some of the same people lol.

Unfortunately no. Most of the people I've noticed here and on the forums I'm on are some of the same people lol.
Those people have written some good content about music, despite not being musicians. However, the motivation to be there isn't to hangout.

O.K., one person on there is a former piano player, but she's not there to hangout and the other one is a guitar player and he's thru an exchange but he seems like a hangout person, but not much motivation because the place isn't a beehive for musicians yet.

You need to find boards of similar niches and advertise in your signature, where allowed. Or, advertise on social media where allowed in similar niche pages. You have to target your audience for those who would actually be interested in the type of forum you run.

You need to find boards of similar niches and advertise in your signature, where allowed. Or, advertise on social media where allowed in similar niche pages. You have to target your audience for those who would actually be interested in the type of forum you run.
This right here! I was able to get some members who aren't on Admin Junkies or other forums that a good number of us are members on to sign up on Gex Forums because I ask to promote the site on the subreddit. Promoting your site on similar niche communities can bring in a new audience.

Getting your community to become a hangout place is depending on finding a group of people interested in the niche. I think the others here made some good suggestions in helping you specifically.

For anyone generally I would say being present in your community. Getting other users who are interested in your message or niche and having them spread the word a bit. Having fun contests to do with your niche can be cool and make people want to return as well. Keep things interesting with fun events, or great information that makes users want to return to gain more knowledge about a concept. Give your community a purpose and it will start building a community vibe and make users want to hang out.

not sure if you can try some advertising on facebook at all? advertising on other forums for that sort of niche is pretty much impossible, you need to think outside the square a little.

Those people have written some good content about music, despite not being musicians. However, the motivation to be there isn't to hangout.

O.K., one person on there is a former piano player, but she's not there to hangout and the other one is a guitar player and he's thru an exchange but he seems like a hangout person, but not much motivation because the place isn't a beehive for musicians yet.
I guess you could look into making a general forum. Those sometimes do well.

I guess you could look into making a general forum. Those sometimes do well.
A hit and miss as there’re just too many of those! I’d say all depends on your current connections really.

not sure if you can try some advertising on facebook at all? advertising on other forums for that sort of niche is pretty much impossible, you need to think outside the square a little.
Reddit is prob a better bet than facebook as reddit is still a forum albeit a popular one. :)

Or if people don’t know you you won’t get many members :)

You have to be visible and likeable ;)
That's true. A good example of that is Onision.

He used to be big on YouTube and was popular before the abuse allegations. He had forums that were super popular. But when the allegations got worse and people's dislike for him grew, those forums died out.

That's true. A good example of that is Onision.

He used to be big on YouTube and was popular before the abuse allegations. He had forums that were super popular. But when the allegations got worse and people's dislike for him grew, those forums died out.
Please send me a link to this youtube channel, his forums and a news article on this. I’m curious and very nosy when it comes to gossip :p

Please send me a link to this youtube channel, his forums and a news article on this. I’m curious and very nosy when it comes to gossip :p
Just type in his name in the search function and hundreds of things will pop up including his channel.

I can probably get people to join from Facebook, but it would need Facebook ads.

People like my online drum lessons, but traffic from a major FB group goes to a 3rd party site, not the forum.

As far personal likeability, people aren't going for some cult of personality around me or the forum would contain my name and my picture would be featured.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Unread Posts

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 20 80.0%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations