Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Genres that just don't work

Advertisement Placeholder
I wouldn’t necessarily say destined to fail but General Discussion forums is a tired theme for me and sometimes when you’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all. There’s only so many times I can reply to identical threads across multiple forums. That being said, if there’s something unique about the forum, and the staff are dedicated to promoting and keeping it active then there’s no reason why it shouldn’t be a success.

General forums. I simply do not have the ability to make them work or beat Facebook and social media.

I know there are many successful general forums, but the content is pathetic. They survive on the type of content and atmosphere that I do not recommend on forums.

If an admin shows a lot of dedication any genre can work. If the forum doesn't have the right staff or owner any genre of forum can fail.
I completely agree with you in this your assessment. There's nothing that can't work as long as you have the right team working with determination to see it grow. It's one of the biggest motivators with any genre. If you don't do enough to see it grow, you will fail even with the most realistic genres too.

I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion that politics just doesn't work.

I mean, it *can* work if you're happy to have: a) an echo chamber that caters specifically to one side of the aisle, or b) a toxic battleground. But neither of those is the kind of atmosphere I'd want to encourage on a forum (indeed, I use forums to get away from that on social media) - and I don't think it's really possible to have anything else right now, because the overall political climate is just too polarised and divided, sadly :( .

I would like to disagree that general forums can't work - however building a healthy community is difficult. There are many that have been around ages and just continue to grow. It is incredible to watch.

I would like to agree with @Kyng though politic communities are difficult to survive due to being toxic in most cases. I don't usually think debate forums can survive either. It takes a specific member set that can handle being disagreed with, and sometimes people get their feelings hurt when it was not intended. I've struggled with just having these areas on a forum - I have decided if I ever do have a forum again these two topics won't be specific areas within my forum.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds