Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Favoritism and Nepotism on the Job

Joshua Farrell

Captain Junkie
Credits
Favouritism and nepotism, whereby jobs are given to friends or relatives, are also forms of corruption. Are you aware of any such practices?

Advertisement Placeholder
I have had my own shares of favouritism and nepotism at the various places that I worked. The last experience I had of this subject was when I worked at a Chinese furniture house in Abuja Nigeria whereby they retrenched a lot of us because new Chinese workers were coming to take our job.

Favouritism and nepotism, whereby jobs are given to friends or relatives, are also forms of corruption. Are you aware of any such practices?
Am fully aware of such practices.
Where I worked before, most of the staff were members of the church my boss attends.
Some who could not meet up with the job were laid off at some point.

Favouritism and Nepotism in Nigeria is as old as Nigeria. I strongly believe that we Nigerians are not ignorant of this truth. One of the reasons why Ojukwu agitated was because of Nepotism in the Nigerian army. Away from history, we went for the Federal Road Safety Corps recruitment,having gone through the process successfully, we only discovered that our file numbers has been given to others. So it is crystal clear that I am fully aware of Nepotism and Favouritism.
[automerge]1634372124[/automerge]
This inherent system has crept into our companies.

The practice of offering jobs or preferential treatment to friends and family members is known as "nepotism." Nepotism is not unlawful in and of itself. In reality, recruiting and promoting family members has been a widespread job practice since the dawn of time.

When either favoritism or nepotism takes place in the workplace, the effect is usually the same. It leads to a number of negative effect (aslo known as discrimination in the workplace) such as:

Lower morale. When employees perceive that there is favoritism in how they are treated by management, a sense of unfairness creeps in. It raises the question, “Why didn’t I get that project/promotion/corner office?” This brings down company morale, because favoritism is understood to mean that no matter what you do, your efforts won’t be rewarded if you’re not one of the favored few. However, it can also lead to resentment. What then follows is resentment towards the manager who is unfairly favoring an employee who may not be the most deserving, as well as towards the favored employee who is taking advantage of the situation.

Giving job to a friend or relatives that's qualified for a job is not corruption it only becomes corruption when you give the job to unqualified friends or relatives. Most people do favouritism when employing their workers but it doesn't make sense when competent hands are there but due to favouritism the incompetent ones are chosen.

Favouritism and nepotism on most job positions are still in process. Those in a higher position uses their authority to fix their friends and families in a vacant position even if they aren't qualified for it, and it's not helping the society at all

Favoritism and Nepotism is very much happen in companies and organisations but most rampant in government and it agencies in my country. Presently almost all the top position in government and agencies are headed by a particular region of the country.

Favoritism and Nepotism is very much happen in companies and organisations but most rampant in government and it agencies in my country. Presently almost all the top position in government and agencies are headed by a particular region of the country.
Favouritism in the system of our government is nothing to write home about because it is something a lot of people are doing that they are taking their family members and placed in a position that they do not deserve.

Favouritism has eaten deep into the society. It is like a cankerworm. I worked for an individual who treated workers from his tribe and denomination with respect and treated others with dismay and a scornful attitude.

Yes this is one of the most popular form of corruption in my country as of present right now, It is found on almost all companies. These days qualified graduates find it hard to secure a job in most companies simply because they do not have the right connection to get the job. To secure a good paying job in my country, 95% of the times you need someone on the inside to help you secure it.

Favouritism and nepotism is something that I can compared them to be the same thing in any form of business organisation this is because they all aimed at the same goals of favouring some group of people over the other group because they are closely related to you.

Will you like to come to Nigeria? And see how the favourism has eaten us to the bone. You might even have to follow it up with some bribery to ensure the job is totally secured.

Though I've benefitted from this nepotism practice in a way in the sense that I was able to speak the language of one of my former employers ( I was quite adept at the job though and very loyal). But I think once you're somewhat capable, and you're related by ethnicity to who's at the helm, you stand a good chance to be favoured.

Favouritism and nepotism is prevalent every where. If you are in a position to hire people, would't you prefer someone you know instead of completely stranger? You might say, I will choose based on merit, but that's a theoretical answer.

I was hired first time by my father's long time friend. I was not hired for my qualification or experience but due to favoritism. However, hiring someone just because you know is not a good practice.

I am very aware of happenings of favouritism and nepotism because it is common place in my country either in the private sector or government institutions. To occupy positions or so called juicy positions or employment it is no longer by merit.
[automerge]1635350166[/automerge]
I am very aware of happenings of favouritism and nepotism because it is common place in my country either in the private sector or government institutions. To occupy positions or so called juicy positions or employment it is no longer by merit.

Favoritism and nepotism is w very common practice in my country today. You'll apply for a job you know very well you are qualified for even over qualified for in some cases but you may end up losing the job to someone less qualified than you or even under qualified, just because the person is familiar with the employer and this is very bad.
[automerge]1635496167[/automerge]
This is very true, in my country even to gain admission into higher institution is no longer by merit, you have to go through someone at the top to get admission and this is very bad because students no longer put in hard work into their education.

In India, nepotism levels are very high, especially in the intelligence agencies due to lack of transparency. In fact the mainstream media often calls R&AW, india's external intelligence agency, the relatives and associates wing, because jobs are usually reserved for the relatives and friends of top indian government officials, some times with fake resumes.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds