Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Does having paid software help get new members?

iPhonefreak

Reputable member
Credits
If you have a paid software such as Xenforo, do you think you get more members then people who have phpbb?

My forums never take off, and I am speculating it is because of our free software. But, I guess FP does not prove my theory.

What is your opinion?

Advertisement Placeholder
I like the look of paid software better. Also, ForumPromotion is actually using a paid software. They are affiliates with FreeForums though.

Xenforo is actually my favourite type of forum software! The two forums I visit the most both use it!

I like the look of paid software better. Also, ForumPromotion is actually using a paid software. They are affiliates with FreeForums though.

Xenforo is actually my favourite type of forum software! The two forums I visit the most both use it!
No, they are using phpbb, which is free.

Unfortunately Forumpromotion is not using a paid software. They are using Phpbb.

I am not a big fan of Xenfero. Personally I think it is a bit too expensive.

I am not a big fan because of the expense. Quite frankly, you can make a similar forum on Mybb which is free.

But if you had $1,000 to spend on a forum, would you keep mybb or go paid?

I would still keep Mybb. Personally I think that Mybb is an excellent forum software. I can spend that $1,000 to something else (i.e. advertising, forum contest etc).

I would still keep Mybb. Personally I think that Mybb is an excellent forum software. I can spend that $1,000 to something else (i.e. advertising, forum contest etc).
But, I think there are a lot of features on Xenforo that are not on Mybb, and plus, Xenforo just looks a lot better.

But, I guess you can hire someone to build stuff that will make it more mybb like.

MyBB is a better software in my opinion, Only thing I like about Xenforo is the login system and the layout is pretty cool.

MyBB is much easier to take care for.

I'd honestly say this depends on whether or not the software in question has the features to actually make your site better. I think of paid software as just a slightly different canvas to free software, it's the add-ons and the forum community (of the software itself) that makes the difference. I think MyBB is equally as fantastic as XF in some places but the way XF redesigned the interfaces I traditionally used was fantastic, so for me, XF is better.

I do not think it helps get members directly. The end user will typically not know the different forum software unless they are webmasters. However the paid software can lead to more members as typically the development communities are more active which means you can supply the end user with an overall better experience with more features and great stability.

But, I think there are a lot of features on Xenforo that are not on Mybb, and plus, Xenforo just looks a lot better.

But, I guess you can hire someone to build stuff that will make it more mybb like.
Like what? Flashy JavaScript and being the first to implement a Like button? XenForo is overhyped, in my opinion.
One area where the free software are really lacking are the profiles. I've had quite a few users complaining about the lackluster profiles before and I strongly agree.

Personally I feel that Xenforo is the most user friendly and intuitive of all the paid and free forum scripts to date, so I would use it if I had a choice. It's not just about the up front costs, choosing the right forum script is also about long term planning. Is the forum script you are using going to be around a few years from now? Will the development on it come to a halt? Something like Xenforo is more likely to retain support for years to come. Even if the original owners move on, they will likely sell it off to another party to continue development rather than leave an entire customer base in the cold.

Also, you have to consider, the easier you make it for your visitors to participate, the more likely they are to continue posting. If your forum is unintuitive or dated or otherwise not user friendly, it may dissuade them from participating as much.

Personally, I do like XenForo, but I couldn't currently stomach the expense. I tried phpBB and hated it, and recently switched to SMF. I haven't tried myBB so I can't speak to that, but I'm really liking SMF - way easier to setup and use, and I've been enjoying the look and feel of the themes I've been able to add, along with the other mods I've found.

I think if I ever got to a point where I could afford it ... I might still switch to XenForo though. There are a lot of things I like, including the overall look of it. My favorite are the notifications ... I've modded my SMF forums with a notification mod, but it's just not the same.

I don't think it matters really. That sounds kind of stupid actually, it's like chicks would only hang out with you if you have an expensive ride. But I do think it has some sort of effect but not enough to make things turn around 360 degree. Maybe it's because of the looks. For the most part, people hate to be on forums for a number of things including the looks of the forum.

If the forum looks awful and it's because of the free software being used then I think you can blame it on the software but if it's just the plain reason of the design itself and site is really a pain to navigate even though you have a paid software service then I think it's not the softwares fault.

I don't think it matters really. That sounds kind of stupid actually, it's like chicks would only hang out with you if you have an expensive ride. But I do think it has some sort of effect but not enough to make things turn around 360 degree. Maybe it's because of the looks. For the most part, people hate to be on forums for a number of things including the looks of the forum.

If the forum looks awful and it's because of the free software being used then I think you can blame it on the software but if it's just the plain reason of the design itself and site is really a pain to navigate even though you have a paid software service then I think it's not the softwares fault.
What I've found is that "what looks good" is generally a matter of taste. I've seen some people who look at XenForo for instance and they despise the default theme in contrast to traditional themes. At the end of the day, you can't please everyone with a theme and you're better off just working on what really matters for your forums.

What I've found is that "what looks good" is generally a matter of taste. I've seen some people who look at XenForo for instance and they despise the default theme in contrast to traditional themes. At the end of the day, you can't please everyone with a theme and you're better off just working on what really matters for your forums.

Yeah it's all a matter of preference but people that dislike XenForo because of the default theme doesn't even know if it's paid or free and I doubt that they based their judgement on that fact. I think it's more because of how the forum functions for them so it just goes to show that it doesn't matter if the forum is running on free software or not.

I think if you are using a popular paid hosting software then people will be more familiar with it. And it may make a few more signups, but what really counts is the content of the forum itself. I have seen some awesome free forums with tons of members and I have seen plenty of dead paid forum software forums. And I will be honest you have a better chance at playing Russian Roulette with 5 out of 6 bullets and dogging a bullet every time, then you do with having a successful forum that does not use paid posting or post exchanges.

Greg

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds