Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Do you want to finish something when you're super close to finishing?

For topics related to engaging users and creating community interaction.

joelr

Addicted member
Administrator
Credits
There's a psychological principle called the Goal Gradient Effect, where users are motivated by how much is left to reach their goal, not how far they've come.

You can see the Goal Gradient effect incorporated into lots of marketing and customer experience contexts:
  • Progress bars, like in Facebook's profile completion process
  • Loyalty programs where you earn points, like in Starbucks
  • Gamification elements like badges and trophies, like in Duolingo
You can also see this quite commonly when you abandon your shopping cart. You may receive a message: "You're so close to getting XYZ. Only one more step to check out!" It's so easy. You're so close. You're almost there.

If we were to redesign social gamification in our communities from the ground up, what would you do differently?

Advertisement Placeholder
Some ideas from me:
  • Instead of starting the progress bar from the beginning (like when a new user registers and starts "new"), why not start the progress bar at 3 / 5? She's completed the first and hardest step (really!), which is registering. There are only two more easy steps to the next level.
  • When we award badges, provide context on what it will take to earn the next badge. We're really good about explaining and celebrating what you've already done (congrats, you've made 100 posts!) but we're terrible at explaining what it takes to get to the next level or stage. "Congrats on earning the Star poster badge for 100 posts. That's amazing! You need 100 more posts to earn the Superstar badge!"

Yes, I want to finish something when I am super close to finishing. Recently, I was revamping my old portfolio website and when I was close to finishing it, I continued working on it, and even avoided working on other paid tasks so that I could finish what I started. When I am close to something, my creativity and productivity doubles.

I have always been someone who when I start something I have to finish, it annoys me when I know I have something that I started and never finished and even if it is a struggle to finish, I will always get it done.

Having some kind of progress goal can help motivate and I feel it is a shame we do not see more of this, especially on forums for things such as achievements or even badges.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 12)

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds