Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Do you use one password for all your accounts?

Anachiwo

Reputable member
Credits
It's advised to have different passwords for all your online accounts in order to prevent having your accounts breached quickly. But I don't see having multiple passwords as being necessary because you have one password that's very strong and it will serve. My kind of person will forget all the passwords used if they are many and if I have them written down, it's no longer safe.

Advertisement Placeholder
Being someone who had a memory like a fish, I tend to not like to use different passwords for all accounts as I would easily forget them. Instead I have a few different passwords that I know I will remember and I tend to use them on different accounts so that not all accounts have the same password. This has not caused any issues for me and it allows me to know that I won't forget my passwords easily by having loads of different ones that I know I will not remember.

LastPass isn't secure, sorry, they've been broken into twice in the last 6 months.

As for using one password, that's a colossal security risk - and not the one you think it is. If that one password, that's used everywhere, is ever saved in a breakable format (spoiler: this happens more than you'd ever think it should), you're then at risk of that password making it to one of the breach dumps (spoiler: this also happens more than you'd ever think it should)

I suggest checking your email on haveibeenpwned.com and looking very, very carefully at any of the mentions of what breaches the account came up in. Depending on the service, the password may already be compromised and bad offenders may already *have* your password anyway.

I used to make this mistake, however now I use Firefox to come up with strong passwords for all my accounts across the web. It's much better to do this, you just never know when one of your accounts ends up in a security breach. I'm even weary of using password managers because they've been breached a few times.

YubiKey NFC for the world!
I've got six of them (only 2 actually in use) and when the site allows pass keys, it's what I use. I still keep a complex password and haven't reused passwords for decades (that's what I have mSecure for).
YubiKey gives me an extra layer of protection, and I also use their 2FA ability for those sites that do not allow passkey.
DigitalPoints Security & Passkeys would be nice to have installed here.

Last edited:
What password manager would you personally recommend?
I personally use mSecure... there are several options to save/sync your data, and the paid version allows you to install it (and sync) on multiple computers.
The other nice feature of it is you can also create custom entries.
I have tags for several different clients that I keep up with there server info (year put into service, make/model, service tag, login creds etc) and then do the same for other hardware. Makes it handy to find real quick.

Never heard of this one, personally.
It's really nice... not only can you keep stuff like passwords for websites, email and such, but you can extend it to keep stuff like inventory of important objects with custom created fields.
You can also add attachments (like invoices, images and such) to them.

Screen Shot 2023-04-29 at 8.15.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-29 at 8.15.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-29 at 8.17.16 PM.png

Last time I checked (granted it's been a few years ago when I was deciding on what to use) 1Password/1Pass did not have the ability to create custom templates in their normal user level (business level I think they did). That may (and probably has) changed, but since I'm firmly in the mSecure environment I chose to stay with it since I didn't want to have to create all new templates and re-enter almost 700 entries (click on one and even more data is shown (MAC ID, DHCP/FIXED IP, MAC listed in DHCP etc), this is only what is visible upon listing page). I also like they allow you to run it on multiple devices and provide desktop for Windows, Mac, IOS and Android. Wish they had a Linux version... but there aren't a lot of us using it for desktop compared to the "big names".

Screen Shot 2023-04-29 at 8.21.33 PM.png

Last edited:

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 77.4%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds