Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Do you try to send a good newsletter?

Shawn Gossman1

Legendary member
Administrator
Website
www.shawngossman.com
Credits
Most default online community newsletters...well...they suck.

I'm going, to be honest about it. What the system sends out automatically is generic and plain.

Do any of you try to spruce your newsletters up at all? Do you try to make them different than other communities?

I'd love to see examples of how you've improved your community newsletter.

And to those who don't do it - why not?

Advertisement Placeholder
I don't read newsletters sent out by email really. I mean, when my daughter sent some out for the place where she worked, I would look at those, but that's because she was my kid. When forums force them on me, I get annoyed because I'm never going to read them. Like ever. If I wanted to know what was happening at their forum, I'd be there logging in.

I think one of the best things to do is subscribe to a good newsletter on a topic you enjoy and get inspiration from it.

One I like is called Morning Brew. It's free and it's noted as being a less than 5-minute read newsletter.

It's fast to read, made for mobile, and still gives great and engaging content. I always look forward to the next one.

Find a good one and mimic it but in your own context of course.

I don't read newsletters sent out by email really. I mean, when my daughter sent some out for the place where she worked, I would look at those, but that's because she was my kid. When forums force them on me, I get annoyed because I'm never going to read them. Like ever. If I wanted to know what was happening at their forum, I'd be there logging in.
Same, I view it as spam as many others surely would. Imagine every site sending newsletters. That would frankly be tiresome.

Same, I view it as spam as many others surely would. Imagine every site sending newsletters. That would frankly be tiresome.

Oh yeah! I'd be really fuming if my email was loaded with those. What I hate is when something new is offered on a site, the notification is usually defaulted to allow email. That's the same with newsletters it seems because out of the blue sometimes, I'll get an email and I KNOW I go through every site I sign up on asap and remove all those allow emails.

I don't really agree personally.

My newsletter grows by the hundreds every week. It's grown so much that I must pay for a better service plan.

Newsletters work.

But it's all about what you put in them.

A newsletter for a Christian forum could be anything from weekly prayer requests for members and events going on in the world.

A newsletter for this forum could be a weekly roundup of the best posts, exclusive articles, forum resources of the month, and interesting communities found online.

There can always be and should be an unsubscribe button but in all honesty, I'd be for a subscribe-first model even if it's a single email blast to all members inviting them to subscribe. If they don't, then they don't get another email of the newsletter.

That seems pretty fair if you ask me.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds