Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Do you tip the waitress?

MrDawn

Reputable member
Do you tip when you go out to a restaurant?

If yes, how much do you often tip?

Here in the UK, I don’t generally tip. Partly because they get paid a more reasonable wage than other parts of the world, but mostly because most places just add 10% to 12.5% on the bill at the end as a “discretionary” service charge, and it’s only removed if there’s service bad enough to cause a complaint.

Honestly though, I’d rather it this way that to pretend tips are optional - I see the number at the bottom, I pay the number, all is right with the world.

I tip 20% rounded up to the nearest dollar. My dad is a server and tells me all about the good and bad tips he gets occasionally. I don't eat at sit-down restaurants nearly as much as I used to, though.

i always tip a little if there is no service charge included in the bill

15% is my least, 18% is my usual, but 20% when I love the service or I feel bad for them because of other customers. I don't mind tipping, but hearing how low these people get paid is sad. They do heavily rely on tips in order to pay bills.

We should normalise a society where tipping is not normal and that they get paid a decent amount to start with.

I toss in more than I should on the occasions I go out just because it's a rarity and I like to make someone's day (and where I'm at the disparity is absolutely horrible to the point any tip-based jobs are precariously staffed with extreme turnover), but from a societal perspective I tend to follow along this guy and I have a feeling Arantor will get what he's on about.

We don’t tip here in Aus but if we go out to a nice restaurant and service is amazing we often leave a tip. I always tip in the US/Canada when I’m traveling (normally depending on how good the service is but 15-18%)

If I eat a regular meal then I try to tip 3 dollars no matter what. If it's a situation with a larger meal, I will try to do more. It's just common manners and you want staff to like you, especially if you eat there a lot. Anyway, I've been too poor lately to eat fancy.

Usually I will tip the waiter or waitress, but if the service wasn't that great I sometimes won't give them a tip or give them a smaller tip. Tipping shouldn't really be a thing IMO, restaurants should be able to pay their employees a good wage and these people shouldn't have to rely on tips to get by IMO.

I tip every time I dine in, and it's always at least 20%. Even when I've had horrific service, I worry about tipping poorly, so I end up tipping right at 20%. What if they spit in my food next time I'm in there? :p

Yes... usually around 10% of the bill :) .

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds