Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Do people look down to new forums?

Website
agoraforo.com
Credits
As someone who has been involved in online communities for a while now, I've noticed a common trend when it comes to forums - people tend to look down on new forums. It's almost as if there's a belief that unless a forum has been around for a long time and has a huge following, it's not worth checking out.

But is this really the case? Do people really look down on new forums, or is this just a myth? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic.

From my own experience, I can say that I've definitely encountered some skepticism when it comes to new forums. When you're trying to build a community from scratch, it can be difficult to get people to take notice and start participating. It can feel like you're shouting into a void sometimes.

However, I also believe that there's a lot of potential in new forums. And we should support each other to keep new forums rising. When you're starting from scratch, you have the opportunity to create a community that truly reflects your values and goals. You can attract like-minded individuals who are passionate about the same things you are, and build something really special.

So, what do you think? Do people really look down on new forums, or are they willing to give them a chance? Have you ever started a new forum, and if so, what was your experience like?

Advertisement Placeholder
I think it is hard for new forums to get up and running sometimes. It depends on what the genre is, because you can bet there is already a forum dedicated to that subject. I will join a new forum if it interests me and i am always willing to help get it active.

The problem nowadays, I believe, is that so many people start new forums and then close them after a few months. People are afraid of joining and then the forum closing.
I have joined numerous forums where they have closed down.
And we should support each other to keep new forums rising
I agree with this. In my opinion forums are dying and need as much support as they can get.

The issue is as said above so many people start a new forum, then close them down after 2-3 months. Yeah, we should support each other to keep new forums rising. I honestly also think forums are dying as not many people are even active on them.

There's also the fact that just about every niche for a forum already exists, most likely. I've said it before, the internet is very repetitive. You see the same types of topics and discussions everywhere you go.

But yes, the fact that a lot of people don't try hard enough and become dedicated to their board and just eventually close it down may be another reason new forums are looked down upon.

There's also the fact that just about every niche for a forum already exists, most likely. I've said it before, the internet is very repetitive. You see the same types of topics and discussions everywhere you go.
You're right about this assessment and to some people, they find it very difficult to repeat themselves over and over again in topics they have commented on several occasions. So, they likely don't see the need to join new forums and have themselves repeated again. It's a problem and there's no way of stopping it.

It also depends on how hard the Staff and Administration are going at getting the board active.
Lots of new forums have lots of buzz from the Staff at the opening and then it dwindles off and just never goes anywhere because the buzz of having a new forum is gone and now they actually have to work hard on pulling members in, engaging with those members and keeping their board active/unique.

As harsh as that might sound it rings true for lots of boards, they don't just naturally grow on there own.

They do if the new forum is empty and doesn't have any content, but that's usually a symptom of opening too early and not seeding the forum with enough starter material (or, relatedly, too many boards spreading whatever starter content there is too thinly)

Not if it's their 1st attempt at starting a forum.

But if it's their 21st attempt at starting a forum... then, definitely. If they weren't able to stick with the previous 20, then I seriously doubt their ability to stick with that one as well.

I'd say the revolving door of new forums is an issue that is all too common among forum users. So it can be hard to jump into a brand new forum with inspiring optimism while knowing that there is a fairly high chance that it will be dead/gone in a few months. Of course, as people said, some admins have a bad reputation for either starting and closing forums or perhaps a project went bad in the past as well. Personally, I do try to support new forums as I always feel it is worth giving them a chance.

This phenomenon is definitely known in the RP circle, it's even an epithet of 'serial site makers'. Building a site only for it to gain no traction is hard especially if you're new to it.

I think people only do this if the person has a bad rep of making a forum, then closing it down a few months later and continues to do this over and over again. Also if there's little to no effort put into making content for the forum, then people will most likely not join or log back in.
Not if it's their 1st attempt at starting a forum.

But if it's their 21st attempt at starting a forum... then, definitely. If they weren't able to stick with the previous 20, then I seriously doubt their ability to stick with that one as well.
Cough Naiwen Cough

They do if the new forum is empty and doesn't have any content, but that's usually a symptom of opening too early and not seeding the forum with enough starter material (or, relatedly, too many boards spreading whatever starter content there is too thinly)
Agreed. A small community can actually foster a family atmosphere. I don't like forums that have 100s online at once - Imagine being overwhelmed with thousands on posts. Your post is just ignored. Also, that's where all the troll go because 1) they'll have a bigger audience to get a reaction and 2) the memberbase is so large that it's impossible for staff to review every post and rely on member reports prior to resolution of which vitriol will already have built up which satisfies the troll.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 77.4%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds