Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Did you start your forum at the right time?

Website
agoraforo.com
Credits
The timing of starting a forum is very crucial to success and growth of our online communities. It's fascinating to see how the landscape of the internet has evolved over the years, and I'm curious to hear your thoughts on whether you believe you started your forum at the right time.

When we think about timing, several factors come into play. One aspect is the overall maturity of the internet and its user base. We all know that the internet has come a long way since its early days, and with its growth, the potential audience for our forums has expanded exponentially. However, with more competition and established platforms, it can be challenging to stand out and attract members.

Another consideration is the specific niche or topic our forum revolves around. Some topics have had their moments of popularity and have seen surges in interest at different times. Starting a forum when a particular niche is on the rise can give us an advantage, as we can capture the attention of early adopters and enthusiasts. On the other hand, launching a forum for a declining or oversaturated niche might present additional challenges.

Furthermore, technological advancements can also impact the timing of starting a forum. The rise of social media platforms and their dominance in the online communication landscape has undoubtedly changed the way people engage with online communities. The widespread use of platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Reddit has created new opportunities but also intensified the competition for users' attention.

Did you start your forum at the right time? Do you feel that the timing positively or negatively affected your community's growth and engagement? What were the challenges you faced, and how did you overcome them? If you could go back in time, would you choose a different starting point?

Advertisement Placeholder
I'm hoping I'm starting my new one at the right time. The other options in niche are quite lacking so I think I can offer something new and valuable. Only other sites are horrible Facebook groups and a forum using software from 2005. Time will tell. I have a TON of work to put into it before it'll have a chance of becoming a success. But I think because of the lack of other viable options I might succeed. It's worth a shot. And exciting.

My main site has been active since 2002. That was probably the perfect time to start a forum.

Timing definitely plays a huge role when it comes to creating a community that's for sure! For example when I opened Mighty No. 9 universe almost a decade ago, it was right after the Kickstarter when live and the official forums wasn't even created yet. Let alone, whenever the forums did go live it was backers only, so people who couldn't back the project couldn't even participate in the community. Needless to say I eventually had more activity on my forum over the official one, if I would have waited another person probably would have jumped on the opportunity to make a community. As for my current community, since it's a general discussion forum I don't really feel like there's a perfect time to open a forum in this niche, you should only open a forum whenever you feel like you're ready for it to launch. Once everything is installed, a unique theme is added, and some content is added to the board too so it's not empty.

The problem in the current time is that so many niches are already done, and many have their monsters in the field... mine included, and it's not a large niche.

I'm not going to whine.... I block a LOT of "bot/scammer" ASN/IP's and URI segments from ever even hitting my site... and this some simple GA4 data for the last 28 days...

Screen Shot 2023-07-04 at 8.46.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-04 at 8.52.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-04 at 8.55.20 AM.png

Are they posting? Nope.. but at least I am getting visitors to the site.... many of which are not bots that get tracked. And my main concern is simply sharing information... if the majority of it's created by me... then that's fine... eventually traction will be gained with more visitors.
I have noticed that with the Reddit debacle, a few posts I made over there in reference to the current issues with Reddit that had a link to my site has ended up with several new sign-ups.

Last edited:
I think I started my board at a good time considering there were not many core resource forums around Jcink that offered an abundance of codes and skins. Though, one way or the other I don't really think it matters much when I started my board because regardless of whether there are core resource boards on Jcink or not doesn't mean too much when you can have a lot of unique resources on your board. Granted, you might lose some traffic and registrations based on a guest's preference of what the board has to offer and what they need most.

I remember when people analyzed the best day of the week to open a forum to get a good start... Now a days it doesn't seem as relevant. Forums naturally have some higher population time than others. I know when I was originally on forums - school vacation time used to be some of the most active days! Summer would always be hit and miss because people would disappear on vacation for a bit. I think this part is definitely still important to watch.

I think it also highly depends on the niche of the forum. If you start a TV show forum during the off season - it might not be as popular as it could be if you started it right before the show was returning. People anticipate things and want to discuss the show! Video games are similar - things are seasonal and depending on releases.

I started my forum 3 years ago, at a time when many forums were dying (although I had not nocticed it till then)
As we all know so many people use FB Group and Reddit these days.
But I did start mine just at the right time as I did not know it but the two major forums in my ocuntry (NZ) and my topic (politics and general) were just about to close. (I now see why)
I went live (with only a few members - friends fsamily) and then ten days later I found that they were both closing.
I managed to get a lot of their members come over to my forum.
I got over 800 member in 5 days.
So that gave my forum some interest and vibrancy and attracted others to join later.
But it did mean that I got a ot of members who were not really on the same page as me.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 77.4%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds