Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Did Elon make a mistake with X?

Shawn Gossman1

Legendary member
Administrator
Website
www.shawngossman.com
Credits
Elon Musk rebranded Twitter as X. Some agree and some disagree. What do you think?

But the main reason I post this on a to speak of rebranding. If you have a large community or even buy out a large community, would you ever consider rebranding? Or would you aim to keep the same brand?

What do you think about rebranding and such?

Advertisement Placeholder
I particularly dislike Musk, but destroying 15 years of brand recognition is suicide. And, even more so, it makes so sense to do it. I can only think of a few major brands that have ever attempted a rebrand.

For example, UK courier company Hermes rebranded to Evri to escape it's horrible reputation. (Evri now has a horrible reputation)

PC World rebranded to Currys PC World when they were taken over... By Currys!

A few companies have shortened their names to modernise, but kept the bulk of it. A supermarket called WM Morrisons dropped the "WM", although that is technically still it's legal name.

Holiday company Thompson rebranded to Tui to try and revive a dying business, modernise and expand their markets. They were just about successful.

Anyway what I'm getting at, is rebrands are risky, expensive and difficult, and are only done for a real purpose. Musk has just done his on a whim, for zero reason.

The guy is mad, and by some marketing experts account has just flushed a $10bn brand down the toilet.

Anyway, if I brought another community then I'd likely do a Google and keep the brands separate - but under a header brand (like Alphabet). One of the cycling websites I read has done this.

Brand recognition (and consistent URLs) are everything on the internet. I actually rebranded about a week after starting my website because I didn't feel it fitted - but then I had no users so it doesn't count lol 🤪

Anyway, if I brought another community then I'd likely do a Google and keep the brands separate - but under a header brand (like Alphabet). One of the cycling websites I read has done this.

Brand recognition (and consistent URLs) are everything on the internet. I actually rebranded about a week after starting my website because I didn't feel it fitted - but then I had no users so it doesn't count lol
I like this idea, keeping it as itself and under a parent company.

And yeah, it's nice when you just start out to rebrand. I rebranded this forum not too long ago and it's new enough and small enough to do it without doing too much harm. Same focus, different name,

I was shocked to see the rebranding as I believe many were. I think it is quite weird that he would go from a branding that has now become a household name to something so simple. It is something I guess we would expect from Musk though being I know one of his kids has a name that is some kind of mathematical equation if I remember rightly.

I also heard that Tweets were now going to be known as Xeets and that just felt weird.

I was shocked to see the rebranding as I believe many were. I think it is quite weird that he would go from a branding that has now become a household name to something so simple. It is something I guess we would expect from Musk though being I know one of his kids has a name that is some kind of mathematical equation if I remember rightly.

I also heard that Tweets were now going to be known as Xeets and that just felt weird.

I wonder how many years it will take people to convert to calling them Xeets? I mean, I think about the Sears Tower in Chicago, I still don't call it the Willis Tower.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds