Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Dealing with Forum Gossip: How do you handle negative posts about your site?

Credits
Most of us have probably encountered this at some point in our journey as forum owners: finding gossip or negative discussions about our forum on other websites or forums. It can be frustrating and sometimes even hurtful to stumble upon posts that bash or criticize our hard work. Sometimes it's inevitable and sometimes, you'll do it without realizing. Your competition may do this to try and gain exposure themselves. In most cases, gossip backfires but how do you handle a situation like this?

1. Have You Ever Encountered Gossip or Negative Posts About Your Forum?

Share your stories! Have you stumbled upon a thread or post where someone was criticizing or gossiping about your forum? How did it make you feel?

2. How Do You React Emotionally?

It's natural to have an emotional reaction when you come across negativity about your forum. Do you get angry, upset, or worried? How do you manage your emotions in such situations? Try to stay calm, it's much like dealing with trolls.

3. Do You Respond or Ignore?

Some webmasters prefer to engage with negative comments, while others choose to ignore them. What's your approach? Share your reasons for either responding or ignoring.

4. Turning Negativity into Positivity

Have you ever successfully turned a negative post into a positive discussion or even gained new members as a result? Tell us about your experiences and the strategies you used.

5. Moderation and Community Guidelines

How do your forum's moderation and community guidelines address negative posts or gossip? Do you have specific rules in place to manage such situations?

6. Support from Your Community

Have your forum members ever come to your defense when they've seen negative comments elsewhere? How important is it to have a supportive community in these situations?

7. Learning and Growth

Every challenge can be an opportunity for growth. What have you learned from dealing with forum gossip? How has it influenced your approach to community management?

Remember, we've all been through this at some point, and sharing our experiences and strategies can help us navigate these situations more effectively. So, let's discuss how we handle forum gossip and turn it into a constructive conversation!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and insights. :)

Advertisement Placeholder
I read a story about this happening to a business over a troll. They responded politely with humour. The kindness set the troll back and stopped them dead in their tracks. All solved without resentment :)

I never dealt with this on any of my sites so far thankfully. If it happened, I would try to figure out if they've mentioned certain things about the site they didn't like and fix those issues. If they simply just said some negative things about my sites without going into detail, I'd just ignore them and continue on with my day. Life is too short to really dwell on negativity anyways. :p

Takes me back to the ZNB days with all the gossip and drama. I’m sure there were rumors and scandals posted that mentioned me during my time on forums but nothing that really comes to mind. It’s certainly nothing worth getting worked up over. I mean, sure it sucks to have false information spread about you but its always good to offer your side of the story and let the people decide. Your true friends will know who to believe.

As for the people that go around spreading rumors and making stuff up, they need to get a life.

I think negative criticism is a great thing though and certainly different from gossip. Criticism, while sometimes hard to take, is a great way to know what to work on. Any feedback is good feedback imo.

Whiners gonna whine, gossipers gonna gossip.
You want to see a classic case of a bunch of whiney "old men" that act like gossipy old hens. Just check out bash.zone if you have some time to waste. Of course, they are so ashamed of their BS they post in their chat area they have to hide it from the general public as then everyone would know what a bunch of scrawny hens they are. You have to have an account there... and it's honestly not worth wasting the time to do so.

EDIT: for those very same hens at that site, yes, this is clearly shown as an edit. It's simply another method to show y'all lack a certain intestinal fortitude, like most cowards.
They love to read on the admin forums and also the script support (that they have access to) and then whine in their protected "safe zone" area like a bunch of old hens scrabbling in the offal for that last piece of seed to eat instead of "manning/womaning" up and approaching it on that site... they have to have a very controlled environment, like certain politicians they worship.

Last edited:
Takes me back to the ZNB days with all the gossip and drama. I’m sure there were rumors and scandals posted that mentioned me during my time on forums but nothing that really comes to mind. It’s certainly nothing worth getting worked up over. I mean, sure it sucks to have false information spread about you but its always good to offer your side of the story and let the people decide. Your true friends will know who to believe.

As for the people that go around spreading rumors and making stuff up, they need to get a life.

I think negative criticism is a great thing though and certainly different from gossip. Criticism, while sometimes hard to take, is a great way to know what to work on. Any feedback is good feedback imo.
Wouldn’t you warn members or delete such posts for posting false info about you, if done intentionally? Imagine if all members got driven off.

Oh and of course, they’d then blow up a whole new thing on censorship >_<

I'm pretty happy that I never had to deal with it on my own forum other than spammers and crazy idiots. But my time as a member of forums is longer I can think when I was a staff member of forums that I had to deal with gossip from different subjects that really cracked me up. Something that you would ban members for however you like to scream at them. End of the day if it gets too much you as a user have a choice to leave that topic for an example or end it.

Wouldn’t you warn members or delete such posts for posting false info about you, if done intentionally? Imagine if all members got driven off.

Oh and of course, they’d then blow up a whole new thing on censorship >_<
Oh I meant when they posted on other forums or websites. Certainly wouldn’t tolerate it on a board I ran xD

Gossip is just human nature. In fact, unless you're a Christian trying to fight it, it's very natural.

Anyway, I haven't encountered gossip about my site, but at one time some drummers on a FB group didn't like my lessons. Oh well, bottom line, I had hurt pride, but in the long run, I don't care.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 22 81.5%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds