Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

☁️ Hosting Solutions Contabo VPS quality?

Topics related to web hosting services, including shared, VPS, dedicated, and cloud hosting.
Website
astrowhat.com
Credits
Anyone using them?
They seem to have some decent prices for their VPS offerings. I am looking at getting another VPS to offload some of my lower traffic sites (and @Opus X site) to so that I can free up more space for my primary that I will keep on Hetzner since I am happy with them, even though they are almost twice in price what Contabo would be for similar setup.

The package I'm looking at is their Cloud VPS 1. Have gone over their "right of refusal" agreement and it's weird somewhat but acceptable.
One of my big concerns is that of all "cheaper" hosting providers... the tendency to over provision a server so that your service suffers. I have read several reviews that have indicated that Contabo is another that tends to do this and that it is not an infrequent occurrence to have CPU cycles being "stolen" so that you do not get what you contracted for.

Last edited:
Advertisement Placeholder
I'm not sure where I read it from (I know it was AJ initially) but I hear they oversell very heavily, among the worst offenders for what you're concerned about. That weened me off from trying them, my particularly low traffic projects are nearlyfreespeech now and hetzner for heavier lifting, I tend to look at hostinger as something in the middle although I don't use them currently. But I digress in favor of authoritative opinions.

I'm not sure where I read it from (I know it was AJ initially) but I hear they oversell very heavily, among the worst offenders for what you're concerned about. That weened me off from trying them, my particularly low traffic projects are nearlyfreespeech now and hetzner for heavier lifting, I tend to look at hostinger as something in the middle although I don't use them currently. But I digress in favor of authoritative opinions.
This is true. Their hosting services are pretty bad along with their customer service. There’s a lot of topics on reddit about their company.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VPS/s/ODjTagDsht

https://www.reddit.com/r/VPS/s/3mu7hqfMaF

https://www.reddit.com/r/VPS/s/e5SVzo3NE4

I'm not sure where I read it from (I know it was AJ initially) but I hear they oversell very heavily, among the worst offenders for what you're concerned about
Yeah, that has been a concern. I had read them being pushed as a good hosting provider over on XenForo and something "smelled bad" as I thought I had looked into them before. Almost every review I have seen has been horrid about them recently (within last -2 year period).
I will probably end up looking at Hetzner again for a smaller one for my Wordpress and a few other sites. Since Brandons site uses the ES add-on I'll probably let him keep it on my site for now as it gets very little traffic. I'm about to renew the domain for him as a favor, and his site really does not impact the server that much.

I’m with them and have never experienced a problem.
Have you ran any terminal level measurements (like htop, glances, nmon and others) to check the stability of the performance of it? Almost across the board I keep reading bad reviews of their service, the primary two being that they oversell/over provision the servers with clients, banking on the fact that few will use the maximum services being sold to them so giving them some "fudge" room.
The other reported major issue is the fact that the throttle the SSD throughput, pushing you to their NVMe solution.
I'm also not a fan of the fact that they charge you a "surcharge" for certain locations.

I am still tempted to grab one just to play with for a few months and see how "reliable" they are. With my backup scripts, if they do turn out to be a crappy provider it's easy enough to move the sites over to another VPS in less than an hour once the images are transferred over to the new VPS.

OK... grabbed a Cloud VPS 1 config. Since it's only around $7 a month, I'll give up a Cream & Coffee stop.

The actual provisioning took longer than my experience with Hetzner (which was almost instantaneous).
Am in the process of installing CentMin Mod on it. It is very similar in specs to my Hetzner install.

The Hetzner install when I was installing the CentMin Mod BETA
Code:
Total Curl Installer YUM or DNF Time: 76.7443 seconds
Total YUM Time: 31.975657296 seconds
Total YUM or DNF + Source Download Time: 50.7932
Total Nginx First Time Install Time: 212.0399
Total PHP First Time Install Time: 412.9353
Download From Github Time: 0.8017
Total Time Other eg. source compiles: 215.1361
Total Centmin Mod Install Time: 890.9045
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Install Time (curl yum + cm install + zip download): 968.4505 seconds
AlmaLinux 8.7 Stone Smilodon  (4.18.0-372.32.1.el8_6.x86_64)
4 AMD EPYC Processor
4 2445.406
PHP VERSION: 8.0.25
Centmin Mod Version: 130.00beta01.b244

The CentMini Stable install on the Contabo VPS instance
Code:
Total Curl Installer YUM or DNF Time: 124.2977 seconds
Total YUM Time: 90.879310178 seconds
Total YUM or DNF + Source Download Time: 118.9238
Total Nginx First Time Install Time: 96.2693
Total PHP First Time Install Time: 683.8422
Download From Github Time: 1.9983
Total Time Other eg. source compiles: 327.6698
Total Centmin Mod Install Time: 1226.7051
Total Install Time for curl yum + cm install + zip download: 1353.0011 seconds
AlmaLinux 9.4 Seafoam Ocelot  5.14.0-427.31.1.el9_4.x86_64
4 AMD EPYC 7282 16-Core Processor
4 2794.748
PHP VERSION: 8.3.10
Centmin Mod Version: 131.00stable.b043
About 400 seconds (7 minutes) longer to install CentMin Mod.
I'll be doing some testing to see how the disk performance and similar is. One thing I did notice is the repository set for Contabo's AlmaLinux 9 install was barebones minimum.

Just a little more info.

Hetzner 4vCPU/8GB instance running 6 sites on CentMin Mod with Redis, Memcached and ES server running.

Screen Shot 2024-08-22 at 8.55.48 PM.png

The new Contabo install 4vCPU/6GB running the same but with zero sites running.

Screen Shot 2024-08-22 at 8.55.20 PM.png

Tonights plan is to move my WordPress site over to the Contabo server.
I will also be moving @Opus X site over to it since I have ES now running on it successfully.
This should give some breathing room to my site for space and allow the other sites to have their own environment.
I plan on financing the hosting for the PipeStand forum since the owner is a close friend and it will not be a major impact for me and it allows me to also gain some exposure to yet another VPS provider.
If they end up being horrible, it's easy enough to restart the sites on my Hetzner VPS.
I still need to do a little more work on the ES server to get it as a standalone node and not part of a group of ES replication nodes.

Last edited:
Just curious, how much are you paying for Hetzner compared to Contabo? I'm guessing you're paying more for Hetzner? Either way I'll keep an eye on this thread, in the case that I ever want to switch to VPS and need to do research.
The 4vCPU/8GB/160GB (NVMe) VPS at Hetzner runs me about $16 USD a month.
The 4vCPU/6GB/400GB (SSD) VPS at Contabo is around $6 USD a month. I could add about $3 to this one and get 200GB NVMe, but I wanted to try the SSD option to see if it is as throttled on throughput as it is reported.

Just a quick GTMetrix site between my forum home page and @Opus X landing page (which is the default forum itself).

Screen Shot 2024-08-23 at 9.41.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-08-23 at 9.45.02 PM.png

The Pipe Stand site has been moved to it already (as well as my blog).
One thing to remember if you move an XF site over that uses DigitalPoints CloudFlare add-on is to update your API for the site with the new IP address.
There is a third site I will be moving over to it also that I am hosting as a favor.
Honestly... if the Contabo VPS stays the way it is working, it may be worth it.
I would not use them for an email server though, only for websites and do your transactional email through a 3rd party service.

Last edited:
I’d copy the same forum/site to both VPS and then run it through the speedcheck. Doing two different websites doesn’t give the accurate results. I’ve been running close to 100 for mine on my VPS. I also have a WHM and 5 cPanel account addition to the VPS.
I'm not concentrating as much on the GTMetrix ratings... but the speed of the actual connections along with other performance related aspects.
They are close, but Hetzner seems to win. Of course, Hetzner is about 3 times as expensive also.
Just some quick disk speed tests.

Hetzner (write speed)
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/test1.img bs=1G count=1 oflag=dsync
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 0.886827 s, 1.2 GB/s

Contabo (write speed)
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/test1.img bs=1G count=1 oflag=dsync
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 7.61411 s, 141 MB/s

Hetzner server latency (disk)
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/test2.img bs=512 count=1000 oflag=dsync
1000+0 records in
1000+0 records out
512000 bytes (512 kB, 500 KiB) copied, 0.00191423 s, 267 MB/s

Contabo server latency (disk)
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/test2.img bs=512 count=1000 oflag=dsync
1000+0 records in
1000+0 records out
512000 bytes (512 kB, 500 KiB) copied, 0.911949 s, 561 kB/s

Using hdparm to test read/write disk cache on Hetzner
Code:
sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   25190 MB in  1.99 seconds = 12641.60 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 7646 MB in  3.00 seconds = 2547.35 MB/sec

Using hdparm to test read/write cache on Contabo
Code:
sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   15666 MB in  1.99 seconds = 7857.82 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 2158 MB in  3.00 seconds = 718.92 MB/sec

Other testing I have done has been similar.... Contabo does not perform as well. On the SSD, it's entirely possible they are throttling the VPS installations.

i do notice a difference when i am in the control panel.
it seems to have some pauses in it that it did not have.
i do not know if that is because the slower disks or TOR just acting up.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 10)

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds