Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Christmas Overused

MisterBobbyPin

Recognized member
Credits
Do you think Christmas is overused? I've been seeing Christmas decorations since November and I'm getting tired of it.

Advertisement Placeholder
I wouldn't say as much in terms of the decorating that it is over used if I am honest as I can fully understand why some people decorate from November as I am one who does it myself. In the US they have things like thanksgiving still to look forward to towards the end of November but other places such as where I am from, the UK, after Halloween and Bonfire night we don't really have anything else to look forward to other than Christmas so putting the lights, decorations and the tree up during that month helps to bring some joy to the dark, cold and dull nights. I do however feel that in terms of shops they start way too early for Christmas just to try and cash in on it, that is something I do get tired of seeing is the Christmas stuff from around September onwards in the stores as that can be a little too overboard.

Do you think Christmas is overused? I've been seeing Christmas decorations since November and I'm getting tired of it.
Yes. It's all about the money for business'. They use October and November as an opportunity to get ahead and get people to spend as much on decorations and products as possible. That's why we see decorations pop up shortly after Halloween is over. Who cares about Thanksgiving. They want to skip to Christmas instead.

Even though I love Christmas, I can agree that Christmas is overused.
I feel like the shops start Christmas in August which is way too early.
I can't say that the decorations are overused though as I am one that decorated in November due to being in the UK and not having Thanksgiving.

They waited that late? Hell, I've seen them up as early as latter October (along with Halloween stuff).
Historically (since I can remember as a kid) the first day of November my family always set up Christmas decorations (and I'm in the 6 decade age range).
Not a finished product yet.

Home Lights.jpg

We have debated doing the "musical lights" for years.. but honestly doubt I'll do it as even this screws up my astrophotography when you take into consideration the others in the neighborhood thatre lit up. For at least 3 of our blocks it's "mid-summers eve" on brightness when walking down the road.
I have to wait until after 2am to even hope to be able to get decent captures that aren't light flooded.

Last edited:
this Christian holiday is obviously going to be overrated. Scientists have researched that the end of the year has more nostalgic potential compared to say, the summer holidays, and people get presents, and the pure magic in the air cannot be beaten. Plus, my birthday is in December so I love the Christmas holidays. A new Star Wars movie also comes out around the time.

I love Christmas decorations and enjoy seeing them everywhere. I wish it was Christmas all year long honestly. The lights, the songs, the happiness and joy that can come from the season. I absolutely love gift giving too. It's just my favorite holiday now a days. We put Christmas lights up on December 5th but it was only that late because we didn't own the house yet lol.

I like seeing decor on houses in November, so I get having to have the decor at stores early so people are able to purchase it then. I do not like Christmas music much before November though and wish that would stop being a thing. xD

This year I'm also looking up different Christmas songs such as "Country Christmas Music" or "Metal Christmas Music" so covers or old versions that just make me happy! The students I teach look up "Christmas music sped up" and they love that.

Honestly, I'm a big fan of Christmas. My wife and I rarely get each other anything anymore though aside from a select few things such as essentials, etc. It's more-so about the holiday spirit for me. :) I've been lazy with the lights and christmas tree though. Probably won't do a tree this year because the cats have been a pain in the ass and it's been a little high maintenance.

Yes, the commercialization of Christmas is out of hand, imo, at least in the capitalist-centric USA. I remember when Black Friday had the "Door buster" sales. Now there is Door Buster sales on Thanksgiving day, and even one store around here had "Door buster" sale in early November, lol.

In Australia out biggest hardware store has had xmas decorations in store since end of Sept... ridiculous! (That's Bunnings FYI)

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 75.0%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds