Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Buying old forums to merge the database in your forum

Website
agoraforo.com
Credits
I’ve seen this happening a couple of times. The board administrator has an existing (somewhat active) community. They buy old and dead forums for the sake of merging the database into their current community. Some databases are almost 10 years old.

I personally never understood the logic and reasoning behind this. It’s likely the funds spent are lost since the old forums have nothing valuable except maybe a few interesting posts.

What do you think of this strategy? Have you done it before? This is not to be confused with buying a recent forum, but really an old dead community. Do you think it can work out?

Advertisement Placeholder
I think this has a place if you're buying up rivals/adjacent forums to bring in members; I don't think I'd ever have consciously registered at TAZ back in the day - but since AAF got bought and merged in, I ended up with an account... so I ended up posting.

Sometimes it's just about discovery and getting your site to new eyeballs, as they say.

I've seen merges that do just the members and merges that do all the content too, sometimes into its own board(s) to keep it separate. It's interesting to see the different ways people do things.

I remember seeing this a lot and I never understood because it just made their forum look even more dead because all of those posts, but no real new ones. If they were to do a merge like that, they should make sure they have an active community already as well as maybe using a posting serivce/trade to bring in some newer topics. I personally don't think I would want to add those posts and etc. If I see some topics I liked maybe I would repost them. Member wise may be useful to send an email to them and maybe get them to the new forum.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds