Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Allowing members to modify their posts?

iPhonefreak

Reputable member
Credits
Do you allow members to modify their own posts? If so, do you put a time limit?

I am on a forum where you can only edit your post after so long. It is a good rule, so members can not delete their content and replace it with "****"

Advertisement Placeholder
I think most forums allow this, I think its great that they allow for them to edit their post just in case if they didn't like what they said in it before or need to update the first post.

I think most forums allow this, I think its great that they allow for them to edit their post just in case if they didn't like what they said in it before or need to update the first post.
But they could delete everything, or change it to not get in trouble

Well other members could observe if they change it to not get in trouble, and they could only delete their posts and only theres.

I think allowing members to edit their posts is fine, as long as the edit history is visible to all. I do not see why members should not be allowed to edit.

I always make mistakes because I type fast so I always allow members to edit posts. Admins can always find out what they changed right?

I always make mistakes because I type fast so I always allow members to edit posts. Admins can always find out what they changed right?
I believe on Xenforo they can, not sure on vB.

On Phpbb and Mybb, you can not.

I also make mistakes because I type on my phone a lot.

I'd say I would allow people to edit their posts as long as there is some sort of 'history' options for moderators in order to see what they have changed, just incase it was a bit nasty. ;)

I normally allow post edits for the first 30 minutes of post creation. After that, they are to report the post to moderators with any changes that they wish to make. This stops old posts getting modified into something not appropriate.

I allow all members to edit their posts if they wish to but we do have the ability to see exactly what they changed it from and to so we know if they are trying to hide anything. I can not say we have had any big problems with allowing this and allowing it takes some of the weight off staff for such simple edits that the OP can do themselves.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds