Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

301 redirects

Credits
Ok, so one of my sites is going to be going through a domain change. I have already added the domains to Google's Webmaster tools to use their "Change of Address".

Now what I'm going to have to do prior is use the .htaccess to redirect EVERY page from the old domain to the new one. Does anyone have the slightest idea how to do this?
I never had to do it before lol.

Advertisement Placeholder
Make an .htaccess file with the following in it:

Code:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://newdomain.com/ [R=301]

Should work (obviously replace the domain with yours.

Let me know how it works out!

Now will this make every link on my site go to the right one on the new site?

Example if i want my domain.old/some-blog-post,

does that make it redirect to just domain.new or will it go to domain.new/some-blog-post

From what I understand, it will redirect to the full url. Just try it... if it doesn't work its as simple as removing the code.

Well everything should be working as expected then,

Ridiculous Facts has been moved from the .org domain to the .com domain. Along with all web master tools now using the new one.

Now time for me to go to every single post I made about the site in every single forum and edit every single link :p Oh the joys of being a web master

Well everything should be working as expected then,

Ridiculous Facts has been moved from the .org domain to the .com domain. Along with all web master tools now using the new one.

Now time for me to go to every single post I made about the site in every single forum and edit every single link :p Oh the joys of being a web master

So, the above worked?

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds