Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

XenForo XF & ElasticSearch - why haven't you?

Website
astrowhat.com
Credits
I've put it off... and I've put it off.... finally got tired of using an add-on to push out my site searches of 2 & 3 letter type to Google... so I broke down and installed ES and the XF add-on for it on my site... damn, why didn't I do that sooner. Two letter and 3 letter searches (such as M1 and M81) now show up fine.
Now I just have to decide if I want to get any of Xon's add-ons that enhance ES search processes.

If you are not happy with the crappy mySQL search ability.. spend the $55 for the ES add-on if you have at least 2GB of spare RAM on your VPS/dedi, or grab a $5 Hetzner 2GB VPS and set up an instance there... you will be happy.

Advertisement Placeholder
This is the XF search addon right?

Until now, I never realized that the default search can only find over 3 characters!!
Yep, the add-on in conjunction with ES on the server (or 3rd party provider).
And actually... by default I think mySQL search is 4 character. You have to change the mySQL my.cnf to allow 2 or 3 character searches and rebuild your search index... and even then it's a rather simplistic search with no real relational capability.

ES/ES add-on is also what gives you this on many XF sites.

Screen Shot 2023-07-01 at 4.46.48 PM.png

I might add this once the forum gets larger and more active. I feel like it would benefit a larger community more than a smaller one - what do you think?
For niche related like mine.. it's very helpful when frequent search terms are going to be very short.

Another thing I like (I purchased Xon's ElasticSearch Essentials add-on....
When you are searching in the search box... you get results as you type

Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 10.15.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 10.19.41 PM.png

ES and the XF add-on costs... then add the Xon add-on into the equation and you are looking at dropping a simple C-Note.... but honestly, for me, it was worth it... what else would I do with that money? Can't get a bottle of Stagg Jr. any more locally for less than $300 (it lists for around $80). At least the add-ons will last a lot longer! 🥃

Ugh! I HATE when I try to do 3 letter searches that are important to me, but XF denies me. This sounds like a brilliant add-on!
Weird.... AFAIK, there are not any specific ES settings for that... I wonder if it is tiedto the minimum search term length selected... I have a feeling it is and they have the default still set at 4.

Screen Shot 2023-07-18 at 11.59.20 PM.png

Last edited:

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds