Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Would you release a game free to play?

Grant

Captain Junkie
Credits
A lot of games come out free to play, a lot of them add DLC and microtransactions into the mix, which keeps those free to play games alive. With that being said, do you ever see yourself wanting to release a game free to play? A few friends of mine are in the planning stages of their first video game, and they want to make it a paid game of course, but I did ask about free to play and they didn't seem too into that idea.

But, would you make a game free to play if you added some ways of making money from it?

Advertisement Placeholder
Yes. If I create a game, it will be free to play. However, I will make some buying of coins paid for. They have to pay some money before they can have access to using some coins. That's my plan if I have a game.

I would have to figure out which one is going to pay me more. If it's selling the game for an amount or letting gamers get it for free but with microtransactions to sell in the game, I would have to decide. Fortnite made a fortune for Epic games with using microtransactions. It's what I would consider doing with my game.

Since I always look out for free to play myself, I would not mind doing that. However, I totally understand the need to monetize and maintain a game. If it is actually something feasible, I do not mind at all paying.

Yes, I would, but I would keep track of the expenses of hosting the game to see if the game is being too much of a financial liability to keep online.

I’ve long since had a fandom game idea that I can’t monetize that I would like to release. However, I would be open to the parent company of the fandom buying the game if it is a success and they make me an offer. That’s a long shot, but I really want to make the game as a passion project anyway.

Fortnite is one of biggest earning game by Epic Games and guess what, it's a free to play game. Gamers only have to spend money on Battle Pass, microtransactions and skins.

I would definitely take a page out of what Epic games did with Fortnite in making a free to play video game. As long as it's a game that's going to be interesting for gamers to play, they will jump on it.

Fortnite is one of biggest earning game by Epic Games and guess what, it's a free to play game. Gamers only have to spend money on Battle Pass, microtransactions and skins.

I would definitely take a page out of what Epic games did with Fortnite in making a free to play video game. As long as it's a game that's going to be interesting for gamers to play, they will jump on it.
Many free games have indeed been a success, thanks as you say to microtransactions, we can simply look at Fortnite you mentioned, Apex Legends, League of Legends, and some others that have had multimillion-dollar profits because they have something that appeals to people and It hooks them and makes them spend money on accessories such as skins for the game.

Many free games have indeed been a success, thanks as you say to microtransactions, we can simply look at Fortnite you mentioned, Apex Legends, League of Legends, and some others that have had multimillion-dollar profits because they have something that appeals to people and It hooks them and makes them spend money on accessories such as skins for the game.
Also, many of them now seem to go down the mobile gaming platform with their games even they are already on Playstation, Xbox or PC. Mobile platform is getting a lot of attention now, so that's why it's getting more games and it's making money for those companies.

Also, many of them now seem to go down the mobile gaming platform with their games even they are already on Playstation, Xbox or PC. Mobile platform is getting a lot of attention now, so that's why it's getting more games and it's making money for those companies.
Yes, I realized that, it seems that they do not stop expanding, and as I understand Fortnite is trying to turn its entire game into a metaverse or has already done so, I do not know, since I am not a player of that video game, I think these video games will continue to earn huge amounts of money in the future.

Yes, I realized that, it seems that they do not stop expanding, and as I understand Fortnite is trying to turn its entire game into a metaverse or has already done so, I do not know, since I am not a player of that video game, I think these video games will continue to earn huge amounts of money in the future.
Yeah, that's very correct. A lot of this modern generation gamers are more interested in playing shooting games exactly like what Fortnite brings to the table and that's why when you look at all of these games like Apex Legends, Leagues of Legends etc, they all have something similar.

I believe in Freemium products meaning you can try the basic version for free and if you want to try advanced version you will have to pay money. I do not want to limit people from accessing services, including games, just because they are not paying. I believe you can make more money from freemium products compared to premium products.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds