Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Would You Rather - Webmaster Edition #2

Members are allowed to remain anonymous or all members must post real names and identities?

• All members are allowed to remain anonymous

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • All members must have real names and identities are required for participation

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Credits
Would you rather have a forum where members are allowed to remain anonymous or one where real names and identities are required for participation?

This is an interesting concept to me because forums mostly were a way to be anonymous for quite some time, but recent years many use their real name and even post an identifying photo. What would the benefit be to remain anonymous? What would the benefit be to require users to post real names and identities?

Advertisement Placeholder
Anonymous of course, but if they want to use their real name, they can. I do not tell them whether or not they can choose to use their real name or an online name.

It depends on the purpose of the forum.

There are certain niches where user handles are the norm, such as gaming. There are other niches where real names are the norm, such as professional business associations or client advocacy forums.

Mine is roughly 80% (real) 20% (anon) but not fussed either way, no one is forced to use real names and photos, one did it many years ago and she got many of her friends to the forum. They use it mostly instead of social media now so either/either.

I would leave it up to the member, granted I run an Anime community where being anonymous is the name of the game. You could call yourself your favorite anime character or come up with some cool Japanese name that makes no sense. The possibilities are endless when being anonymous. There are options for members to use their real name such as the Facebook Integration/login feature. But as for me, I would want 100% anonymous.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 77.4%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds